Hye Thyme Cafe: Peanut Butter Waffles with Banana and Nutella

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 12, 2017

Peanut Butter Waffles with Banana and Nutella

Peanut Butter Waffles with Bananas and Nutella Drizzle: Hye Thyme Cafe

I've been torn over the years by waffle makers - growing up, my Mom made awesome waffles, and the maker she had was not a deep, Belgian waffle maker or one of the thin waffle makers you typically find, but one sort of in between, and it accommodated four squares. I have never found one with that particular depth (I always check yard sales hoping to find a vintage version), so I finally broke down and bought a two-square standard version. I had a jar of Nutella in the pantry at the time, so I decided to put it to use and make a batch of Peanut Butter Waffles to drizzle it over instead of syrup.  Don't get me wrong, I love syrup, but I have to watch my carbs count, and since there are cabs in not only the waffles but also the peanut butter and bananas, I figured I could shave a few by using the Nutella, which has fewer carbs than syrup.  Not much of a compromise there considering how delicious Nutella is!

If you're going to plate the waffles two at a time as they come off the griddle, that's fine, but if you are going to make them all and then serve them together, because the peanut butter makes them a little more dense than plain waffles, I recommend heating a baking sheet at 250-275 and transferring the waffles to the oven to stay warm and crisp as they come out.

INGREDIENTS :
2 c flour, sifted
2 T sugar
1 t salt
1 T baking powder
1 t cinammon
4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 c milk
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 c peanut butter

TOPPINGS:
Banana
Nutella
Milk

  1. Sift together the dry ingredients.
  2. Whisk together the milk and egg yolks.
  3. Add the milk/egg mixture to the dry mixture until combined.
  4. Stir the peanut butter into the melted butter, then into the batter - slightly cooled to not cook the egg.
  5. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then slowly fold into the batter.
  6. Cook on well-oiled or sprayed waffle maker until crispy.
  7. Top with sliced bananas and Nutella mixed with a splash of milk to achieve a pouring consistency.  
And, as they say ... bacon makes everything better ... so add a side of nice crispy bacon, and you're good to go!  No need to worry about carbs there.

Peanut Butter Waffles with Bananas and Nutella Drizzle: Hye Thyme Cafe

Peanut Butter Waffles with Bananas and Nutella Drizzle: Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...