Hye Thyme Cafe: Honeybell Orange Sponge Cake

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Honeybell Orange Sponge Cake

Honeybell Orange Sponge Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe

While still trying to make my way through a box of Honeybells sent to me by my office, a vision of my sister's Lemon Sponge Cake suddenly danced in my head, so I decided to translate my own version using the Honeybells, which are a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. I had a hard time not scarfing the whole cake down in one day!

INGREDIENTS :
6 eggs, separated
1 1/2 c sugar
2/3 c Honeybell juice
2-3 T Honeybell zest
  (I say zest 1 and if you don't get 2/3 c juice out of it, zest another since you'll be juicing it anyhow)
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cream of tartar

  1. Beat the yolks until thick and lemony.
  2. Gradually add the sugar, then the juice and zest.
  3. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt, then add to the yolk mixture, a little at a time.
  4. If using a stand mixer, and you only have one bowl, pour the mixture out into a separate bowl and clean the mixer bowl well. Now use that bowl to beat together the whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
  5. Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture and transfer to your baking pan (see NOTE)
  6. Bake at 325 for 60-65" until toothpick tests clean.
  7. Invert to cool - if using a tube pan, that will mean inverting the pan over a bottle to insert the bottle neck into the tube. If using a bundt, invert onto a cooling rack. 

NOTE:  There are two schools of thought with sponge cakes - some say to NEVER grease the pan, because the batter needs something to "grab onto" to climb the pan, while others say to go right ahead. Not only did I spray my pan with baking spray, but I made it in a non-stick bundt pan, rather than the traditional tube pan. (That also accounts for my slightly over-filled pan - I knew better but rolled with it anyhow and ended up with a cake that sort of has what you would call feet on macarons.)














Honeybell Orange Sponge Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe

Honeybell Orange Sponge Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe

Honeybell Orange Sponge Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...