Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut, Almond, and Cranberry Granola

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Coconut, Almond, and Cranberry Granola

Coconut, Almond, and Cranberry Granola : Hye Thyme Cafe


I have always loved granola, whether it's the big clusters you munch on for a snack or eat like a bowl of cereal, or the loose kind you sprinkle on your yogurt. For some reason, I haven't been happy with the versions I've been getting lately - one was just eh, and another was so bad, I actually threw it away. How bad can toasted oats be that you need to throw them away?!? I decided to make my own - it's cheaper that way anyhow. I do actually love Golden Girl Granola, but we don't seem to have it locally.

Because I have to watch my carb intake, and I knew I wanted to use dried cranberries (extra sugar), I decided to use unsweetened coconut and reduce the amount honey by incorporating some Amaretto. That way, the Amaretto would help carry that honey to all of the oats and then bake off in the oven, while slightly boosting the almond flavor. If you're not concerned with carbs and want a sweeter version, go ahead and increase the honey, omit the Amaretto, and include 3-4 T of brown sugar with the honey - as well as some vanilla or almond extract if skipping the Amaretto.


INGREDIENTS :
4 c old fashioned oats
1 c sliced almonds
1 c unsweetened coconut chips
1/4 c Amaretto
1/2 t salt
1/4 c honey
1/4 c neutral oil (canola, etc.)
1 c dried cranberries 

  1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, almond slices, and coconut chips
  2. In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the Amaretto, salt, honey, and oil
  3. Pour the oil mixture over the oats, stirring until well coated
  4. Bake at 300 for approximately 20", stir, and continue for another 10-15" until golden
  5. Stir in the cranberries last so they don't dry out by baking; let cool
Coconut, Almond, and Cranberry Granola : Hye Thyme Cafe
Coconut, Almond, and Cranberry Granola : Hye Thyme Cafe

Coconut, Almond, and Cranberry Granola : Hye Thyme Cafe

Coconut, Almond, and Cranberry Granola : Hye Thyme Cafe



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...