Hye Thyme Cafe: Zombie Eyes ... And a Lesson Learned

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, October 31, 2016

Zombie Eyes ... And a Lesson Learned

Zombie Eyes: Hye THyme Cafe


I threw these together at the last minute for an office pot-luck today. Strangely, the last time I made a version of these pretzel/kiss treats (Salty Kisses), I also had a lesson learned. That time, it was not to use the caramel-filled kisses. This time, it was not to use the Pumpkin Spice kisses. I don't know what they're made of, but it's apparently not chocolate! No matter what heat setting I tried, I couldn't get those buggers to melt. Makes you wonder.

INGREDIENTS :
Small Pretzels (preferably round waffle or wagon-wheel)
White chocolate Kisses (I could only find the Cookies n' Creme)
M&Ms or other small candies (I had some "eyes," so I used both)
Red and black icing 

  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil, then with a single layer of prezels
  2. Top each pretzel with a Kiss
  3. Bake at 250 for about 8" until melty
  4. Press an M&M into each for the iris - they're zombie eyes, so it's OK to use the yellow, orange, and red even though they're not regular eye colors
  5. To make them bloodshot, pipe on a bit of red icing - I had a small tube I hadn't opened from Christmas, so I used that, but to create the pupils, I mixed a bit of powdered sugar into a spoonful of milk until smooth, then blended in black food coloring and used a small paintbrush to paint them on. You could do the same with red food coloring to give them that bloodshot look.
At the time I bought the Kisses, I was bummed I couldn't find the white/dark Hugs, thinking the built-in stripes would work for the bloodshot look when they were smushed by the M&M, but I actually think the Cookies n' Creme makes them even creepier, so that worked out fine. You can see in the photos that I did manage to use a few of the Pumpkin Spice Kisses - those look pretty creepy too, partially because instead of melting, the outside coating got flaky.

Zombie Eyes: Hye THyme Cafe


Zombie Eyes: Hye THyme Cafe


Have a spoooooky Halloween!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...