Hye Thyme Cafe: Lentil Salad with Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, May 12, 2016

Lentil Salad with Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette

Lentil Salad with Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette: Hye Thyme Cafe


Being Armenian, it was very common in my house growing up to have bowls of cooked lentils with onions and parsley served with pita wedges, but I was never a big fan. I love Lentil Soup, but never cared for plain lentils. My aunt makes a great lentil salad, but for some reason, it never turns out as well for me, so I decided to come up with one of my own. This vinaigrette is just what the lentils needed. They're very healthy, as a good source of both protein and fiber.

Red or yellow bell peppers would have provided a nicer color contrast, but since I had an orange bell on hand, I used that, even though there was already orange from the carrot. Red, orange, or yellow bell peppers are nice for their sweet flavor, but I would steer clear of the green for this dish.


INGREDIENTS:
2 c lentils
2-3 t chipotle mustard
1 T olive oil
2 T white balsamic vinegar
1 T lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t each salt and pepper
1 large carrot, chopped small
2 stalks celery, chopped small
3 scallions, slice thin
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
2 T dill (fresh or dried)

  1. Rinse the lentils, checking for any pebbles or other debris, then cover with a few inches of water, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until tender.
  2. While the lentils are cooking, whisk together the chipotle mustard, olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper; set aside.
  3. Chop your carrot and celery to roughly the same size as the lentils and combine with the scallions, parsley, and dill.
  4. When the lentils are tender, drain any remaining liquid and toss with the dressing while still warm so the lentils soak up all that flavor.
  5. Let the lentils cool for a bit, then toss with the remaining ingredients and enjoy at room temp or chilled, either on its own or scooped into lettuce leaves, etc.
Lentil Salad with Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette: Hye Thyme Cafe

Lentil Salad with Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette: Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...