Hye Thyme Cafe: Mustache (Movember) Espresso Cookies with White Chocolate

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, November 23, 2015

Mustache (Movember) Espresso Cookies with White Chocolate

Espresso Cookies with White Chocolate: Hye Thyme Cafe



Last week, I decided to test two new cookie recipes - one for the upcoming annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, and the other in honor of No Shave November/Movember (men's health awareness month). I can't talk about or share my cookie swap cookies yet, but my Movember cookies are totally up for grabs. Being a half-Armenian female, I could probably pull off a semi-decent mustache if I tried, but I was guessing my co-workers would appreciate the cookies a whole lot more. 

It was my original intention to ice the mustaches, making some brunette, some redheads, some salt & pepper, etc., but my propensity for procrastination got me off to a late start. I managed to decorate my cookie swap test batch but not my mustaches in time to bring them to work with me the next day.

I'm happy to report that both were met with positive reviews. The funny thing is that I automatically made the cookie swap batch in Christmas shapes, because that's what I had in mind for the swap. When it occurred to me that it might freak people out seeing Christmas cookies so early, I posted a note with both batches explaining what they were for. When I went to seal them up at the end of the day, I noticed that someone had written on my note that the cookie swap cookies were a huge success but that they were sadly disappointed - and slightly disturbed - to realize they were eating mustaches instead of chocolate angel wings lol.    That is a great idea - I'll have to remember to use those cutters for angel wings!!  

Although I really did enjoy the mustaches, I have to admit that they are best eaten within the first few days. I took the few leftovers home with me and ate them a couple of days later, noting that they had dried out a bit. They had sat open all day at the office though, so maybe that wouldn't have been the case if they were in a closed container. Either way, since they're espresso cookies, even if dry, they're perfect for dunking in a cup of coffee or cold glass of milk.

INGREDIENTS :
3/4 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
1 1/2 t espresso powder
3 c flour
3/4 c cocoa powder
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 c white chocolate chips - chopped or pulsed in food processor

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Add the eggs, vanilla, and espresso powder, beating until well incorporated.
  4. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder, then add to the wet mixture, a little at a time, until incorporated. If using a stand mixer, be sure to scrape the bowl so you don't end up with a clump of flour at the bottom.
  5. Stir in the white chocolate last. I like to run a knife through chips so that some of the chocolate melts into the dough as it bakes.
  6. Roll out dough to about 1/4" thickness and cut into desired shapes.
  7. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15" until set - you will notice that the tops have lost their sheen.

Espresso Cookies with White Chocolate: Hye Thyme Cafe
Espresso Cookies with White Chocolate: Hye Thyme Cafe

Espresso Cookies with White Chocolate: Hye Thyme Cafe


Encourage the men in your life to be pro-active and take their health seriously ... with or without the mustache.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...