Hye Thyme Cafe: Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, April 16, 2015

Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme


Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme : Hye Thyme Cafe


These potatoes are reallllllly good. Truth be told, I'm a very poor planner. I had no idea I would be making these until I did it. I was actually thinking about making french fries, so I did not have any fresh thyme on hand. If you have some, by all means use it. I relied on my herb/spice drawer this "thyme" around.

When it comes to the cheese, you can use whatever you like - again, because I tend to just wing it and didn't plan ahead, I raided my cheese drawer and found a bag of shredded cheddar/jack, a bag of mozzarella, and a block of Parmesan, so that's what I used. There were a few other options hiding in there, but I liked the idea of the cheddar flavor, smooth melt of the jack, and stringy mozzarella boosted by the nice sharp flavor and browning quality of the Parmesan.

You can certainly make these separately from your entree - I just happened to have received a sample shipment of Golden Girl Granola to play with and was making Granola-Crusted Pork Chops (recipe to come) with it, so that's what you're seeing next to the potatoes.


INGREDIENTS :
Potatoes of choice (figure on 1 per person if lg, one extra if med)
1 Med onion
Shredded cheese (figure on 1/4 c per potato)
Salt and Pepper
Garlic Powder
Fresh or dried thyme
Mik or cream (anything below whole milk is probably too watery)
Butter

  1. Spray or butter casserole dish.
  2. Peel and slice potatoes into thin slices and arrange one layer in casserole dish.
  3. Sprinkle with a bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme.
  4. Mix your cheeses together and sprinkle half over the top.
  5. Layer your onions over that and repeat the above - potatoes, seasoning, cheese (dotting with butter over or under the cheese).
  6. Pour in enough milk or cream to come about half way up - you do not want it to flood over the top or it will be too watery.
  7. Cover loosely with foil and bake at 350 for 1', removing the foil after the first 30". That will give the potatoes a chance to soften with the heat and steam while covered, letting the cheese melt but not brown yet - then uncovering will allow some of the water content in the milk to evaporate.
  8. To test for doneness, stick a fork or tip of a knife into a potato - if it slides in with no resistance, they're done. Otherwise, give them a few minutes more.

Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme : Hye Thyme Cafe




Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme : Hye Thyme Cafe

Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme : Hye Thyme Cafe


Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme : Hye Thyme Cafe




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...