Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sweet and Sour Pork Chops

Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops

Pet Peeve #6287 ... I went to Price Chopper Grocery Store the other day, and right inside the door, there was a big display advertising Buy 1 / Get 2 for a particular brand of bread, Thomas's English Muffins and Entenmann's Chocolate Chip Cookies. As much as I enjoy a good English Muffin, I really don't think to buy them that often, so this gave me a good excuse to stock my freezer. I grabbed three loaves of bread and three packages of English Muffins. When it comes to cookies, I'll stick with homemade thanks. So I was going through a stockpile of receipts earlier to see what I could throw away and it caught my eye that instead of Buy 1 / Get 2 on the English Muffins, they charged me for two and gave me one. Makes me wonder how many other people that happened to and whether I should bother schlepping back to the store to have it corrected. So annoying!

Wondering what any of that has to do with pork chops? During the same shopping trip, I noticed a large package of pork chops with a 30% off per pound sticker on it, so I grabbed that too. In thinking back on it and looking at the price, I realize I need to start paying closer attention. Seems like one of those cases where the price was hiked up before applying the discount, so it pretty much came out the way it normally would have. That one was my fault for not doing the math. I pulled out two chops for dinner and portioned out the rest into packets of two to freeze together for future use.

I was in the mood for more of a pan sauce, so I kept it on the thinner side. If you want a thicker sauce, more along the lines of Chinese food, all your need to do is increase the corn starch to 2t and boil the sauce until it thickens to more of a syrupy state before pouring it over your chops. Also, I know this annoys a lot of people, but I tend to trim all the fat off my meats before cooking. This time, however, there was such a thin band of fat around the chops that I didn't bother.

Although I was only making two chops, there is plenty of liquid involved for more. You might just need to increase the ingredients for the flour mixture, but if making three or four, you can probably still get away with this amount.


INGREDIENTS :
2 pork chops
1/4 c flour
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
olive oil
8 oz can of pineapple rings
White wine, broth, or water
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c cider vinegar
2 T ketchup
1 T soy sauce
1 t cornstarch (more for a thicker sauce)


  1. Start by letting your chops sit out for a while so they're not too cold, then patting them dry with a paper towel and preheating your oven to 350.
  2. In a plastic bag (closed please), toss together the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
  3. Add one chop to the bag, tossing to coat, then add the other. The reason I don't throw them in together right away is so they don't stick together and stop the flour from getting between them.
  4. Leaving the pineapple rings in the can for now, pour the juice into a measuring cup, adding enough white wine, broth, or water to equal 1c of liquid. I would normally use chicken broth, but I had an open bottle of wine in the fridge, so I used that instead.
  5. Pour the juice mixture into a small pot, and whisk in the brown sugar, cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, and cornstarch.
  6. Bring the sauce mixture up to a slow boil, letting it bubble for a few minutes to thicken.
  7. In the meantime, coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil and sear the chops (knocking off the excess flour) on each side for about 3-4" until golden.
  8. Transfer the chops to a baking dish and top with the pineapple rings.
  9. Once the sauce has thickened, pour over the chops and pineapple and bake for 40" to 1' until cooked through - time will depend on how thick your chops are, etc.
  10. If serving with rice, mashed potatoes, or even broccoli, be sure to share the love and pour some sauce over the top of those too!
Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops





Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops

Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops








Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops


Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops











Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops


You can tell from how the meat is glistening how juicy and tender it is.



I kept it simple, serving it with some steamed edamame and buttery rice topped with lemon zest and some cucumber slices on the side.

Hye Thyme Cafe: Sweet and Sour Pork Chops



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...