Hye Thyme Cafe: Beet Salad with Mint Dressing

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, March 26, 2015

Beet Salad with Mint Dressing

Beets Salad with Mint Dressing: Hye Thyme Cafe



I was excited to finally come across some golden beets at a local grocery store, so I couldn't wait to try them. I love beets any way I can get them - roasted, pickled, raw, turned into chips, you name it! I really wanted to see how the golden beets stacked up against purple beets raw, so I decided to use both in a salad.

I had initially envisioned crumbling some sort of cheese on top, like maybe a cotija, but I could't find any. I am definitely NOT a bleu cheese person, and the thought of an earthy, pungent feta paired with the earthy flavor of the purple beets would be too much Earth going on for my taste. It turns out the golden beets have a milder, sweeter flavor.

When I first walked into the market, the pineapple display caught my eye. I thought that would be a great addition, since pineapple pairs so well with both beets and cucumber. Unfortunately, none of them were ripe. That made me think of pineapple cottage cheese instead. That would cover both the cheese and the pineapple. If you don't like the idea of wet cheese on your salad, you could easily strain the cottage cheese to have the benefit of those sweet curds without all the whey.

I used dried mint, rice vinegar, and a spring mix of greens, but you could easily substitute fresh mint, a different vinegar (white balsamic, champagne, etc.), and incorporate any greens you like - perhaps even some of your beet greens.

INGREDIENTS :
2 T olive oil
2 T seasoned rice vinegar
1 t crushed dried mint
1/8 t each salt and pepper
Spring Mix of Greens
2 purple beets
2 golden beets
1 cucumber

  1. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mint, salt, and pepper.
  2. If using a package of greens, be sure to check the label to see if they were pre-washed. I used a container of pre-washed Spring Mix. Otherwise, wash and dry your greens well and place in a large bowl.
  3. Toss the greens with just enough of the dressing to give them a light coating, then transfer to a serving platter.
  4. Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, carefully slice the golden beets into very thin rounds and arrange in a spiral around the outside edge of your greens, leaving some of the greens visible.
  5. Repeat with the purple beets, arranging inside the golden beets.
  6. Thin slice the cucumber into rounds, piling in the center.
  7. Drizzle additional dressing over the beets and cucumber.
  8. If including the pineapple cottage cheese, scoop into the very center and sprinkle with additional mint. Pineapple and mint are another winning flavor combination.


Beets Salad with Mint Dressing: Hye Thyme Cafe


Beets Salad with Mint Dressing: Hye Thyme Cafe


Beets Salad with Mint Dressing: Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...