Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana Bread

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, March 20, 2015

Banana Bread

Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana Bread

When faced with a few seemingly very ripe (skins were dark, but they were still pretty firm) bananas, I was thinking about what I might want to make with them and realized that I have never posted a recipe for Banana Bread. I've posted a Chocolate Banana Bread (playing with Chocolate Cream of Wheat) a Chocolate-Pineapple Banana Bread, and even a Coconut-Banana-Oatmeal Bread, but never a plain ol' regular Banana Bread. I had a fabulous recipe years ago but sadly lost it somewhere along the line. That was more of a traditional super-moist quick-bread recipe. 

This recipe is a little different. I use about half the oil and sugar most recipes call for, brown sugar instead of white, and included a bit of cinnamon, which accounts for the color. When mixing everything together, you may first think it's going to be dry, but trust me - once the bananas are added and the bread is baked, it turns out with a very light texture and not dry at all


INGREDIENTS :
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
2 eggs
1/4 c canola oil (or veg)
1 t vanilla
1/2 c brown sugar
Single-serve carton of plain or vanilla yogurt
   (roughly 1/2 c if portioning from large container)
2 ripe bananas

  1. In one bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  2. In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, vanilla, brown sugar, and yogurt.
  3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, until just combined.
  4. Mash and stir in the bananas. I like to use a fork to mash them on a sheet of waxed paper so I can easily slide them into the bowl and not have additional clean up to do.
  5. Spray, grease, or line a loaf pan with parchment - I like to use PAM Baking for spraying my pans, but I happened to be out, so I went with parchment.
  6. Bake at 350 for about an hour until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean - time will vary depending on your oven, the size of your pan, etc.
  7. Let rest in pan for about 10" before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.

Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana Bread
Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana Bread








Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana Bread

Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana Bread

Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana Bread

It's funny, I almost always spread a little cream cheese on a slice of zucchini or date-nut bread, but not on banana or cranberry bread. I decided at the last minute to throw on a little schmear - good, but not necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...