Hye Thyme Cafe: Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn

Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn: Hye Thyme Cafe


I swear, half the ideas I get for trying recipes are based on items I happen to find sitting next to each other in the pantry. I guess it's a good thing I'm not OCD about my pantry staples. In this case, it was a box of Chex Cereal sitting next to a bag of popcorn kernels. Looking at the Chex reminded me of my Yuzu-Glazed Snack Mix. That got me wondering how I would fare translating a glaze to popcorn. Would it make it soggy, gummy, brittle ... inquiring minds want(ed) to know.

The glaze I wanted to try was to recreate a popcorn I used to get whenever I would stop at a Cracker Barrel. It was an awesome vanilla popcorn. What I ended up with was actually more akin to a Crunch 'n Munch or Fiddle Faddle; I'll have to add peanuts next time. And color me confused about those two - just figured out they're both ConAgra products?? One isn't enough for them??

Anyhow, this turned out so good, I first scooped myself out a little bowl, then couldn't stop - I ended up eating the whole thing!! So light and crispy, and super easy. Can't wait to make it again. You can certainly do it with any popcorn you want, but I made mine the way I have been making all my popcorn lately ... microwaved in a little brown paper lunch bag. Just pour a half cup of kernels into the bag, fold down the top and set the microwave to 3 minutes. As with any microwave popcorn, stop when there are a few seconds between pops. Time will vary by machine.

TIP:  I read a new trick recently for microwaved popcorn, so this gave me a chance to try it out. When you take your popcorn out of the microwave, snip a small corner out of the bottom of the bag and give it a shake over the trash. That way, any remaining un-popped kernels will fall out into the trash. Love it!


INGREDIENTS :
1/2 c popcorn kernels - popped
3 T butter
3 T sugar
1/4 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
2 t vanilla

  1. Preheat oven to 250
  2. Pour your popped popcorn into a bowl large enough to toss it in; set aside
  3. Over medium heat, bring the butter, sugar, baking soda, and salt up to a bubble to start to thicken
  4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
  5. Pour half over the popcorn and, using a large spoon or silicon spatula, toss to coat; repeat with remaining half
  6. Pour popcorn onto baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper
  7. Bake at 250 for 20", stirring with a spatula half way through, to prevent clumping, then again when just out of the oven - baking helps to re-dry the popcorn and set the glaze
  8. If you like it sweet AND salty, sprinkle with your favorite salt while still warm
  9. Let cool or a minute or so, then see if you can stop before eating the whole batch

Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn: Hye Thyme Cafe
Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn: Hye Thyme Cafe

Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn: Hye Thyme Cafe
Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn: Hye Thyme Cafe


 
Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn: Hye Thyme Cafe

Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn: Hye Thyme Cafe


Vanilla-Glazed Popcorn: Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...