Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Scones

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Coconut Scones

Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Scones


I have always used sweetened, flaked coconut for baking but often come across recipes calling for unsweetened. When I popped into a Big Lots recently to look for stocking stuffers, I found a big bag of Bob's Red Mill Unsweetened Shredded Coconut staring at me, so I couldn't resist.

I didn't have a particular use in mind for it at the time, but whenever I opened the cabinet, the aroma was so overwhelming, I wanted to crawl inside. I knew I had to use it for something right away, so I made scones. I still have a small carton of heavy cream in the fridge that I didn't end up using on Thanksgiving, so I would normally have used that, but I also had a container of Chobani Coconut Yogurt. I opted to use the yogurt.

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 c flour
5 T baking powder
4 t sugar
1/8 t salt
2 eggs
3/4 stick butter
3/4 c heavy cream or 5.3 oz container plain, vanilla, or coconut yogurt
1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
Coarse sanding sugar for tops
1 egg, milk, or cream for brushing on top

  1. In the bowl of your stand mixer (or mixing bowl), whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
  2. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the cream or yogurt until just blended.
  3. Stir or mix in the coconut.
  4. On a lightly floured surface, pat out your dough to 1/2-3/4" thickness and cut into desired shapes (I used a 2" round cutter).
  5. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet.
  6. For a nice sheen and color (and to give the sanding sugar something to stick to), brush the tops with either milk, cream, beaten egg, or an egg beaten together with a bit of milk, water, cream ... any combination will be fine. This time, I used an egg with a bit of milk.
  7. Sprinkle with sanding sugar and bake at 350 for approximately 20" until golden and fragrant.
  8. Let cool for a minute or two right on the baking sheet, then serve with jam, lemon curd, clotted cream, etc.
Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Scones

Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Scones
Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Scones

Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Scones

Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Scones
Enjoyed with a cup of Teavivre Oolong tea.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...