Hye Thyme Cafe: Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Brown Rice

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Brown Rice

Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe


I ended up being on my own for Christmas this year but didn't want to completely bail on the day, so I made myself a little roast beef dinner with lots of veggies and saved a pumpkin bar for dessert from the batch I brought to the office pot-luck. After eating roast beef sandwiches for the next few days, I decided to use the rest of the roast in this soup. I don't think I've ever made a soup with beef in it before, and thinking about that reminded me that I've used pasta, but never rice in a soup, so I decided to try that as well. It's a keeper!

INGREDIENTS :
1 T olive oil
1 lg onion, diced
1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
2 pickled hot cherry peppers, diced *
3-4 stalks celery, diced
2 lg carrots, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 c corn - fresh, canned, or frozen are fine
1 c brown rice
2 c cooked beef, diced
1 T Worcestershire
8 c + beef broth (or veg broth, water, combo, etc.)
2 c chopped tomatoes (I used a medley of different cherry tomatoes)
2 t dried thyme, or a sprig or two of fresh
4 c chopped kale, packed
small crown of broccoli florets
salt and pepper
Optional - grated Parmesan for topping

* The cherry peppers add flavor, heat, and a bit of acid. If you're not a fan of cherry peppers (they go great in greens and other dishes), you could squeeze in a little lemon juice instead, or maybe drizzle in a bit of white wine or a flavored vinegar.


  1. Start by dicing your beef and letting that sit out while you prep your veggies so it's not going into the pot super cold. Any leftover beef will do - steak, roast, tips, etc. Then chop all of your veggies.
  2. In the 1T of olive oil, saute the onion, pepper(s), celery, carrot, and garlic until the onions are translucent. Stir frequently to prevent the garlic from burning; season with salt and pepper.
  3. Stir in the corn, rice, and beef, then add the Worcestershire, broth (I used all beef broth), tomatoes, and thyme. Let simmer until the rice is almost cooked through.
  4. Add the chopped kale and continue simmering until the rice is done, then add the broccoli during the last minute or two.
  5. Ladle up a bowl and top with grated Parmesan.

Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe
Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe 
Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme CafeBeef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe 








Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme CafeBeef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe



Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe

Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe
  
Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe


Beef Vegetable Soup with Kale and Wild Rice: Hye Thyme Cafe



I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and came up with some great uses for your leftovers.  Happy New Year!!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...