Hye Thyme Cafe: Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork (Slow Cooker)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, November 6, 2014

Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork (Slow Cooker)

Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork: Hye Thyme Cafe

I can't begin to tell you how good this is. I made it the other night and happily ate it again last night. As a matter of fact, when I was eating it the first time, I was actually mad that I had sliced a baby cucumber and de-stemmed some grapes to go along with it because I wanted more of the pulled pork but wouldn't have room to scarf down more of that along with the rest.  😢

It has a great layering of flavors and is sweet, spicy, fruity, herbaceous, buttery ... drool ... Oh, and it's super easy!! Of course, I can't guarantee that same flavor if you use different brands of salsa and BBQ sauce, but I'm pretty sure you'll be happy you made it. I'm guessing it would be great with chicken as well.


INGREDIENTS :
1 pkg pork tenderloin
1 can (mine was 15 1/4 oz of Freestone) sliced peaches
1 jar peach salsa (I used Paul Newman's)
1 c barbecue sauce (I used Dinosaur BBQ's Wango-Tango Habanero)
1 lg sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic (or 1-2 t jarred/minced)
Fresh chopped cilantro
Buns
Butter
  1. Pour the peaches, syrup and all, into your slow cooker along with the salsa, BBQ sauce, onion, and garlic, and give it all a stir.
  2. Cut the tenderloin in half and nestle it down into all that liquid. Sometimes packages of tenderloin come in two strips, sometimes one - doesn't matter. I opened my package, slid the (one-piece) tenderloin out right over the slow cooker and cut it once in the pot to avoid cross-contaminating anything else in the kitchen with raw pork.
  3. Turn the slow cooker to low and let it run for the standard 8 hours or so. If you want to check it before that, just poke it with a spoon or something - if it breaks apart, it's ready for shredding.
  4. Transfer the pork from the slow cooker to a platter or plate, leaving the cover off the slow cooker and turning the heat to high to reduce the sauce a bit.
  5. Use two forks to shred the pork. If you want to go old-school, you can let it cool a bit then actually shred it with your fingers.
  6. Stir the pork back into the slow cooker and continue cooking for a few minutes to re-heat and let it soak up that juice.
  7. Meanwhile, add a pat of butter to a skillet and grill the cut sides of your buns.
  8. If you won't be serving the whole pot, I suggest transferring what will be used to the platter you shredded the pork on and mixing in a bunch of fresh chopped cilantro. You could mix it into the slow cooker, but I like that fresh raw cilantro flavor.
  9. Pile it onto your grilled buns and enjoy! I like to use tongs so I can hold it over the pot for a few seconds to let the excess juice drip out. You have more control over how dry/juicy your sandwich is than if using a spoon.

Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork: Hye Thyme Cafe
Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork: Hye Thyme Cafe

Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork: Hye Thyme Cafe
Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork: Hye Thyme Cafe









Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork: Hye Thyme Cafe

Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork: Hye Thyme Cafe

Peach-BBQ Pulled Pork: Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...