Hye Thyme Cafe: Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, November 16, 2014

Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake

Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe


I felt like baking something and had some homemade yogurt in the fridge that needed to be used up, so I decided to bake a cake. I had just bought some lemons to squeeze in my water, so I settled on a lemon cake. I usually make a Lemon Thyme Cake, but wanting to try something different, I decided to go with poppy seed. Then it occurred to me that the other day, while cleaning out my freezer, I realized that the cork on the bottle of Limoncello I was storing in there had leaked, so I took it out. That made me think to go with the Limoncello.

I washed my lemons very well - not crazy about the thought of wax and pesticides in my cake - and dried them equally well so they wouldn't gum up my microplane, then I zested all four of them. I used some of the zest and juice in the cake, then froze the rest of the zest and bagged the naked lemons to keep in the fridge for my water. Whenever I'm zesting citrus or chopping parsley, peppers, etc., I freeze them in snack-size zip-lock bags for future use. No need for water or ice cube trays like most people seem to do.

Because I had a box of cake flour on hand, I used that, but you can certainly use AP flour. The texture will vary slightly, but it won't have an adverse effect.  


INGREDIENTS :
3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temp
1 1/2 c sugar
4 eggs
4 T lemon zest
3 T Limoncello
1 c yogurt (or sour cream)
3 T poppy seeds
3 c cake flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
3T sugar and 4T lemon juice for outside of cake


  1. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  2. Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated
  3. Mix in the lemon zest, followed by the Limoncello, poppy seeds, and yogurt
  4. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed, then add to the wet mixture, a little at a time, until incorporated
  5. Pour into greased/sprayed bundt pan and bake at 350° for 55-60" until a toothpick inserted into the center [of the cake, not the hole in the pan ;) ] comes out clean
  6. Let cool for 10-15" in pan before turning out onto a cooling rack
  7. While the cake is cooling, heat together the 3T sugar and 4T lemon juice until the sugar has dissolved
  8. Brush the lemon/sugar all over the outside of the cake to soak in for extra flavor and moisture
  9. Serve plain, dusted with powdered sugar, with a dollop of mascarpone or creme fraiche ...


Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe
Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe

Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe
Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe

Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe
Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe










Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe

Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe


Limoncello Poppy Seed Cake: Hye Thyme Cafe




2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cake. I just love lemon + poppyseeds together. Adding lemoncello to the batter must make the cake more fluffy & lemony. This one is on my w/end to-do list! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great poppy seed recipe is a salad my mother first introduced me to. There is lemon as well, but it's not technically a lemon and poppy seed recipe. Check out the Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed dressing - definitely a family favorite!

      http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2011/06/strawberry-salad-with-poppy-seed.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...