Hye Thyme Cafe: Chicken and Broccoli Crepes

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, November 20, 2014

Chicken and Broccoli Crepes

Chicken and Broccoli Crepes: Hye Thyme Cafe

Crepes are another one of those things that I have always left for someone else to make for me, like Shish Kebab. I still haven't gotten around to the Shish Kebab, but I finally dipped my toes ... or should I say ladle ... in to make crepes. The recipe is a no-brainer; it's the shaping that takes a bit of a learning curve. I am also pancake challenged, so my first attempt was kind of sketchy. I figured out that rather than ladling the batter and swirling the pan, I got a better shape by pouring the batter then swirling it toward the outer edge with the back of a large spoon.

Normally for something like this, I would have made a general white sauce or some sort of cheese sauce, but you might remember a while back that I posted a recipe for Smoked Mozzarella and Tomato Chicken Cous Cous, thanks to my friend Michele, who is a Wildtree representative. In addition to the sample she sent me of their Smoked Mozzarella and Tomato seasoning, she had sent me a sample of their Alfredo mix, which I completely forgot about. Oops, sorry Michele!


INGREDIENTS :
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 t salt
1 c flour
2 T melted butter
Cooked chicken, diced or torn
1 small crown broccoli, steamed
Shredded cheese of choice
Optional garnish - chopped scallion, parsley, etc.

WILLOWTREE ALFREDO SAUCE :
1 packet Willowtree Alfredo mix
5 T butter
1/2 c milk

  1. For the crepes, whisk the eggs well, then add the milk, salt, flour, and melted butter, again mixing well; let rest for 30".
  2. While the crepe batter is resting, go ahead and dice your chicken, steam your broccoli, and chop any garnish you plan to use.
  3. For the sauce, all you have to do is heat the milk and butter together until the butter is melted, then whisk in the Alfredo mix.
  4. Lightly brush your pan with oil and heat at just over medium temp - you might find that you need to lower it after the first few crepes.
  5. As mentioned above, pour a scoop of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to form a thin circle.
  6. When little bubbles start to form around the edge and you can lift it with a spatula (I like to use my cheese slicer because it has a rounded edge rather than flat), flip to cook the other side; it should just be lightly speckled and takes less than a minute.
  7. Stack the crepes on a plate as you make them - yields 6-8.
  8. Stir the chicken and broccoli into the Alfredo sauce to warm through.
  9. Plate one crepe, and using a slotted spoon, transfer some of the warmed chicken and broccoli to the center of the crepe, sprinkling with shredded cheese.
  10. Fold the sides in toward the middle, overlapping, then spoon over more of the sauce, sprinkle on some more cheese, and garnish as desired
Although it was thinner than I was expecting, the Wildtree Alfredo Sauce was a pleasant surprise, as I was expecting the standard bland sauce that might need some doctoring. Theirs is very nicely seasoned, and as you can see, very easy, so I would not hesitate to recommend it, with the proviso that you might want to use slightly less liquid than called for.

If you want to use the crepes in a dessert application, I would suggest adding a bit of vanilla, or maybe cinnamon to the batter. I'm thinking my next crepe session will involve apples and maybe some mascarpone. We'll see ...

Chicken and Broccoli Crepes: Hye Thyme Cafe
Chicken and Broccoli Crepes: Hye Thyme Cafe
Chicken and Broccoli Crepes: Hye Thyme Cafe
Chicken and Broccoli Crepes: Hye Thyme Cafe









Chicken and Broccoli Crepes: Hye Thyme Cafe

Chicken and Broccoli Crepes: Hye Thyme Cafe

Chicken and Broccoli Crepes: Hye Thyme Cafe

Thanks again to Michele for the Wildtree samples!  Check them out to see how they can help with your holiday menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...