Hye Thyme Cafe: Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 23, 2014

Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash

Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe


I absolutely love spaghetti squash ... and pesto. So what could be better than combining the two? Adding some nice gooey cheesey smokiness to the mix! I usually bake my spaghetti squash, but since it was going to be baked again anyhow, I shaved off a little time and microwaved it first. I used up the last of my freezer stash of Kale-Almond Pesto, but any pesto will do nicely.

INGREDIENTS
1 spaghetti squash
pesto to taste (I used about 1/2 c for a small squash)
1 tomato
sliced or shredded smoked provolone (or other smoked cheese)
dry seasoned bread crumbs
butter

  1. If you have the time and want to bake the squash, slice it in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then brush the inside with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place the squash on a baking sheet, cut-side down to start.  Most people keep it cut-side down, but I like to flip it after about 20" or so to let the sugars start to caramelize a little.  Bake at 375 for 40" or so until tender.  If microwaving, add about 1/4" of water to a microwave-safe dish and place the squash in, cut-side down.  Nuke for 12-15" until tender.
  2. When the squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to shred the strands and transfer to casserole dish.  I nuked mine in a small Pyrex, then just poured out the water and shredded the squash into the same dish.
  3. Toss the squash with pesto to taste.  Don't be alarmed if it looks different than mine - shades of pesto vary quite a bit, depending on their ingredients.
  4. Add sliced tomato to the top, and cover with the smoked cheese.
  5. Sprinkle a handful of seasoned bread crumbs over the top and dot with butter.
  6. Bake at 350 until golden and melted - time will vary with vessel used, size, etc., but should be in the neighborhood of 20-30".
I paired my squash with some rotisserie chicken and leftover green beans from a night of Chinese take-out. The beans may not be pretty in these pics after already being reheated once, but they sure were delicious! I wish I knew their secret. They're always perfectly crisp-tender, with just the right amount of garlic. I either end up with more crunch or they're too soft. I'm great with asparagus but need to work on my green beans. ;)


Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe
Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe



Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe
Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe

Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe


Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe



Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe

Smokey Pesto Baked Spaghetti Squash: Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...