Hye Thyme Cafe: Potato Salad Poppers

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, August 7, 2014

Potato Salad Poppers

Potato Salad Poppers: Hye Thyme Cafe


I normally buy loose fresh produce, but every once in a while, my local grocery store has a deal on Simply Spuds Steamables Potatoes, so I can't resist. They are small potatoes that come in a microwavable steamer bag. The first time I bought them, I followed the instructions on the package for time and pretty much ended up with a potato puree. I now make sure to nuke them for less time than called for.

When I stopped at the store to pick up avocados for my Guacamole Pasta Salad, I saw that the Steamables were on sale again, so I grabbed a bag of red and a bag of yellow. I didn't have a dinner plan in mind and never ended up getting a protein to pair them with, so I decided to go in a different direction and made these cute little party bites.

You can, of course, use your own preferred potato salad recipe. For this batch, I used some petite diced sweet onion, celery, dill pickle, baby cucumber, fresh dill, black pepper, and mayonnaise mixed with a bit of the pickle juice, reserving additional dill to sprinkle on top.

All you do is cook the potatoes until tender and let them cool, then take a sliver off the bottoms to allow them to stand without tipping over. Make another cut across the top, a quarter to a third of the way down, depending on how tall the potato is. Then use a small spoon (iced tea or demi dessert) to core out the center.  

To core the potatoes, hold them tightly to sort of compress the inside so it doesn't break. Insert the spoon into the potato, close to the edge, and push down until it almost reaches the bottom. Remove the spoon and insert into the next spot, and continue - working your way around the whole potato. That took four turns using my little demi-dessert spoon. Once you have worked your way around the whole potato, tip the spoon to get under the bottom and give it a twist to "pull the plug." You can do some "shaving" if you need to in spots to get closer to the edge, but this way, you will have a nice chunk of potato to be able to dice and won't end up with "mashed" potato salad.

Petite dice the slice you took off the top - with or without the skin - then dice the part you pulled out of the potato. Mix the potato with your other ingredients and spoon into your potato shells, sprinkling the additional dill over the top.

Potato Salad Poppers: Hye Thyme Cafe

Potato Salad Poppers: Hye Thyme Cafe

Potato Salad Poppers: Hye Thyme Cafe

Potato Salad Poppers: Hye Thyme Cafe

Potato Salad Poppers: Hye Thyme Cafe


4 comments:

  1. mhmm I could devour all your potato salad popper right now!! You are tempting me here Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looooooove potato salad. Then again, potatoes are kinda like pasta. You can do pretty much anything to them and they'll be good. :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a clever presentation! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are always looking for new "bites" for parties, etc. I keep seeing people do clever things with deviled eggs, but I don't like them, so I don't want to make them ... just want to make them to play. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...