Hye Thyme Cafe: Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Peppery Jelly Glaze

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Peppery Jelly Glaze

Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze: Hye Thyme Cafe


I think after watermelon, nectarines may be my favorite fruit.  I love peaches too, but not eating them whole.  Unlike people who have skin problems - meaning contact with/ingestion of certain things irritates their skin - for me, it's touch. I have a hard time holding a peach because of the fuzz. It's the same with things that have a powdery texture - like pita bread - and don't get me started on walking barefoot! Even at the beach, you'll only catch me barefoot at the water's edge. I can't stand walking in dry sand. It's awful! I often feel like that old story ... The Princess and the Pea. A single strand of hair sliding down the back of my shirt will make me cray-cray until I can fish it out. OK, why did I write all of that? TMI? Veered slightly off course - now back to the matter at hand ...


INGREDIENTS :
6 T butter
3 T brown sugar
1 c quick oats
1/2 c flour
2 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
3/4 c coconut
________________
8 oz cream cheese
5.3 oz container coconut yogurt
1 egg
3 T powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
________________
2 or 3 nectarines
2 T hot pepper jelly
Berries - optional
Sanding sugar - optional


  • Preheat oven to 350
  • In the bowl of your food processor or stand mixer, pulse together the crust ingredients until the butter is distributed and starts pulling everything together.
  • Press into the bottom and partially up the sides of your tart pan - in my case, that was an 11x7 rectangular pan
  • Bake for about 15" until set and just starting to brown
  • Give the mixing bowl a quick wipe to remove any crust remnants, then throw in the filling ingredients and give it a whirl until smooth
  • Pour filling into crust
  • Arrange fruit on top
  • Melt jelly and brush all over the fruit
  • Return to oven and bake for 30" until filling is set and top is bubbly and fragrant
  • If desired, once cooled, sprinkle a bit of sanding sugar over the top for a bit of crunch, or maybe sprinkle some toasted almonds or chopped pistachios

Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze: Hye Thyme Cafe
Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze: Hye Thyme Cafe

Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze: Hye Thyme Cafe

 
Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze: Hye Thyme Cafe
See all those little bits of hot pepper?  :)

Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze: Hye Thyme CafeNectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze: Hye Thyme Cafe










Nectarine Tart with Coconut-Oat Crust and Hot Pepper Jelly Glaze: Hye Thyme Cafe





2 comments:

  1. Nectarine is one of my favorite fruits but I never thought of making a tart of it and then too with a coconut oat crust. Luckily I am in Europe right now and nectarines are common here. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a round tart pan, you can look online, and you'll see how people slice the nectarines really thin and shape them into flowers. Those are really pretty. . Actually, I supposed I could have still done that on a rectangle pan. Guess I was being lazy. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...