Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana Cornbread

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, July 3, 2014

Banana Cornbread


Banana Cornbread: Hye Thyme Cafe


Once again, I found myself faced with overripe bananas.  As much as I love a good Banana Bread, something different was called for, so I decided to try a Banana Cornbread for a change.  I wasn't sure how corn and banana would pair, but it turned out to be a good choice.  I'm (almost) looking forward to more overripe bananas now so I can play around with different options for add-ins.

INGREDIENTS :
1/2 c butter (1 stick), softened
1 c sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1 t vanilla
2 1/2 c flour
1 c cornmeal
1/2 t salt
2 t baking soda
2 med bananas, mashed

  • Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  • In one bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and vanilla
  • In a second bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda with a fork
  • Alternate adding the egg mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar, a little at a time until incorporated
  • Peel the bananas into the bowl the cornmeal mixture came out of and mash with that same fork, then blend into the batter
  • Pour into sprayed 13x9" pan
  • Bake at 400 for about 25" until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean

Banana Cornbread: Hye Thyme CafeBanana Cornbread: Hye Thyme Cafe









Banana Cornbread: Hye Thyme Cafe
Banana Cornbread: Hye Thyme Cafe










Banana Cornbread: Hye Thyme Cafe


Banana Cornbread: Hye Thyme Cafe

Banana Cornbread: Hye Thyme Cafe




2 comments:

  1. You are so creative! You actually made this up? It looks delish. So dumb question, does it taste good with dinners where you have cornbread or is it still like a breakfast snack like banana bread? I'm pinning for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. Hmmm, I just made it to play around with something new, but I think it would be fine for a dinner side. The cornbread definitely comes through.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...