Hye Thyme Cafe: Watermelon-Tomato Salad

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Watermelon-Tomato Salad

Watermelon-Tomato Salad: Hye Thyme Cafe


When a friend first mentioned the combination of watermelon and tomatoes to me, I just couldn't wrap my brain around it for some reason. Since then, I have seen that combination turn up in a number of places, so when I picked up a watermelon the other night, intending to make my favorite Watermelon Salad (cucumber, fresh mint, lime juice ...), I broke down and picked up a container of tomatoes as well. Rather than a fruit salad, I decided to use them in a green salad. I figured since I was already combining watermelon with something I would never have thought of on my own, why not throw caution to the wind and pair it with romaine lettuce too??  

This is now one of my favorite summer salads. Why didn't I listen and try it sooner?!? Aside from the fact that the watermelon and tomatoes really do play nicely together, it has those winning combinations of sweet/salty, soft/crunchy, sweet/acidic.

INGREDIENTS :
Watermelon
Tomatoes (I prefer small multicolored)
Romaine Lettuce
Pistachios
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

  1. Cut your watermelon into bite-sized pieces and set aside.  (TIP: If you are cutting a whole watermelon and don't anticipate it all getting eaten right away, try inserting a steamer basket or colander into the bowl first. That way, the juice will run to the bottom of the bowl without the watermelon getting mushy from sitting in all that liquid.)
  2. Wash and dry your lettuce, stacking the leaves on top of one another and slicing into thin ribbons.
  3. Slice and/or dice your tomatoes and transfer to a bowl with the lettuce. I like to leave the tiny tomatoes whole, quarter the larger tomatoes and slice the small tomatoes in half, some crosswise and others lengthwise.
  4. Drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the lettuce and tomatoes, add several grinds of freshly cracked black pepper, and toss to coat.
  5. Transfer a pile of the lettuce and tomato mixture to a salad plate and top with diced watermelon, pistachios, and a sprinkle of salt over the watermelon.
I can't wait to make this again. I think next time, I might turn it into a chopped salad, increase the amount of lettuce and make everything roughly the same size as the pistachios.


   
Watermelon-Tomato Salad: Hye Thyme Cafe

Watermelon-Tomato Salad: Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...