Hye Thyme Cafe: Quinoa-Kale Tabouli

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Quinoa-Kale Tabouli

Quinoa-Kale Tabouli : Hye Thyme Cafe


Tabloui (Tabbouleh) traditionally contains bulgur wheat, parsley, mint, tomatoes, and onion, dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. More likely than not, if I'm making Tabouli, it's the red version - Eetch. At some point, while trying to find more uses for Quinoa, I replaced the bulgur in Eetch with Quinoa, and it went over very well. Although I noticed the difference in texture, most people didn't notice anything different at all. It's been a while since I did anything with Quinoa, and we all know by now that I love Kale, so I decided to try incorporating the two into a new version of Tabouli.


INGREDIENTS :
1 c quinoa
2 c water, broth, or a combination
2 c finely chopped kale
1/2 c finely chopped mint
1 c finely chopped sweet onion
12 oz mixed grape tomatoes, diced (or 2-3 lg)
2 small lemons (zest and juice)
3 T olive oil
salt and pepper
  1. Bring the liquid (I used chicken broth) to a boil and stir in the quinoa. Reduce to a simmer for about 20" until the quinoa unfurls and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
  2. You don't have to be fanatical about the amounts when it comes to the kale and mint, so feel free to throw them together in your food processor and run until fine. Two cups of kale for me amounted to 6 large leaves, stalks removed, and I used one whole bunch of mint, but size varies with brand/market.
  3. You can run your onion through the food processor as well, but from a visual perspective, I prefer it hand diced.
  4. For the tomatoes, again, just for visual reasons, I like to mix it up to include some slices and some diced.
  5. When the quinoa has cooled, stir in the greens, onion, and zest from the lemons, then gently fold in the tomatoes.
  6. Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice with about a half teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
  7. Pour the dressing over the top, then chill to allow the flavors to come together.
  8. Fluff with a fork before serving with crackers, lettuce leaves, pita wedges, etc.
Although not included in a traditional Tabouli, if you like, try adding some finely-diced cucumber as well.

Simmer quinoa in water or broth until opened and liquid absorbed
Fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside to cool









I like using a variety of colored grape tomatoes
Quinoa-Kale Tabouli : Hye Thyme Cafe









Quinoa-Kale Tabouli : Hye Thyme Cafe


Quinoa-Kale Tabouli : Hye Thyme Cafe


Quinoa-Kale Tabouli : Hye Thyme Cafe


Quinoa-Kale Tabouli : Hye Thyme Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...