Hye Thyme Cafe: Chocolate Pineapple-Banana Bread

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, May 8, 2014

Chocolate Pineapple-Banana Bread

Chocolate Pineapple-Banana Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe


I am forever buying bananas and not eating them all, so I have to either make/bake something with the rest or freeze them for future use.  I apparently need to learn to buy smaller bunches.  Then again, if not for all those aging bananas, I wouldn't have come up with this awesome Banana Bread!

I thought for sure this was going to be a fail.  I significantly reduced the amounts of sugar and oil called for in other quick breads and replaced some of the flour with quick oats, so I was keeping my fingers crossed but half expecting a dry end result screaming for something sweet.  You honestly will not miss that extra oil and sugar, even with all the added cocoa, and the oatmeal complements the texture nicely and lets you pretend it's healthy.  I can't wait for an excuse to make this one again!


INGREDIENTS :
1 c flour
1/2 c quick oats
1/2 c light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
2 med ripened bananas
8 oz crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 c canola oil
2 t vanilla
2 eggs

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.

In a separate bowl, mash the bananas, then mix in the pineapple, canola oil, vanilla, and eggs.

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then stir together until just combined.


Stir the two mixtures together until just incorporated - like with a brownie mix.

Pour into a greased/sprayed loaf pan and bake at 350 for about an hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Transfer to greased/sprayed loaf pan and bake at 350 for about an hour until toothpick tests clean.
Cool 5 minutes, then remove from pan to rack to cool completely.









Let cool in the pan for about five minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely ... if you can resist waiting that long ... 



Chocolate Pineapple-Banana Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...