Hye Thyme Cafe: Cherry Sangria

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, May 1, 2014

Cherry Sangria

Cherry Sangria : Hye Thyme Cafe


I made this Sangria for Easter and was skeptical about it at first, having mixed most of it together the night before and taste testing.  Adding the cherry juice and prosecco on the day of brought it all together, and it turned out to be a big hit.  The only problem was that I had thought I had a bag of cherries in the freezer and was going to drop those in, but I apparently used them already.  I was using various berries in other dishes, so I opted to stick with Halo mandarin oranges and a diced Granny Smith apple for the fruit.  All the orange segments sank to the bottom, so you can't see them, and of course, I forgot to take a shot of the pitcher with everything going on at the time, so you'll have to settle for my glass.

INGREDIENTS :
1.5 litre bottle soft red wine
1 c brandy
3/4 c Cherry Kijafa
3/4 c simple syrup
1/2 c fresh squeezed mandarin orange juice
1 c cherry juice
1.87 ml bottle prosecco - so cute!

Fresh diced fruit to soak up all that boozy goodness.

Be sure to mix the prosecco in just before serving so you don't lose the bubbles.


Cherry Sangria : Hye Thyme Cafe

I just love those little bottles of bubbly prosecco!  I'm not one for popping the cork on champagne - I'm always afraid I'll either lose so much of it there won't be enough to drink, or I'll take someone's eye out with the cork.  So here I am oh so carefully working to push the cork off but getting nowhere ... it had a screw top!!!  :)

As for the brandy, I'm not a brandy drinker, but when I noticed the Ararat on the label, I just had to get this!  I used a little in eggnog during the holidays, so this was a good way of using up some more of it. My grandparents were born near Mt. Ararat, and I wasn't aware there was Armenian brandy, but apparently, the Yerevan Brandy Company (Yerevan is the Capital of Armenia) has been in the business since 1887, so I guess they know a thing or two about brandy.

According to Wikipedia ...
An undocumented anecdote claims that during the Yalta ConferenceWinston Churchill was so impressed with the Armenian brandy given to him by Joseph Stalin that he asked for several cases of it to be sent to him each year. During a 2013 meeting at his personal villa in Sochi, Russian president Vladimir Putin gave British Prime MinisterDavid Cameron a bottle of Armenian brandy as a gift, recalling Stalin's offering to Churchill in 1945.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...