Hye Thyme Cafe: Kitchen Tip: How to Leak Proof a Foil-Lined Tray When Faced with a Short Roll of Foil

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Kitchen Tip: How to Leak Proof a Foil-Lined Tray When Faced with a Short Roll of Foil



Have you ever wanted to throw a tray of, say, bacon or meatballs in the oven and thought oh crud, then I have to deal with a tray full of grease!  If you're lucky, you have a large roll of foil on hand.  But what do you do when your foil is narrower than your tray?  No problem!!

Cut two lengths of foil slightly longer than your tray, to allow for wrapping over the edge.


Lay one sheet of foil on top of the other, with the same sides facing - shiny to shiny or dull to dull.  Along one long edge, make a small fold, and repeat two or three times, smoothing it down as you fold.



Now you can open the foil in one large sheet to wrap your tray, and the seam you created will be leak-proof.  



Go ahead and bake/roast/broil that drippy greasy mess ...


When you're done, just let the grease cool so it solidifies (mostly anyhow - depends on what you made).


Then just wrap it into a pouch and toss it in the trash!

Look Ma, no leaks!  :)


2 comments:

  1. Nice, I never seem to be able to get that right and get leaks. Of course I also usually put a knife or fork through it and defeat the whole point, but that's a completely different fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I don't have that problem with foil, but I am famous for that when trying to fill something - I'll be making stuffed meatballs or grape leaves or something and invariably stick a fingernail through them and have to keep re-doing.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...