Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Yogurt Pie with Granola Crust

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, April 24, 2014

Coconut Yogurt Pie with Granola Crust



I have been on a Chobani Coconut Greek Yogurt kick lately.  I just can't get enough of it!  When thinking about what to make for desserts for Easter this year, I thought back to how big a hit the Pomegranate-Lemon Verrines I made a few years back were.  That got me thinking about applying the same principal to a pie, but I know that not all of our diners like pie crusts, so granola came to mind.  I don't buy granola all that often, but when I do, I definitely like to sprinkle some of it in my yogurt.

I had actually intended to decorate it differently but when one diner needed to leave earlier than I thought, in an effort to throw dessert together quickly, I forgot that I had intended to tint whipped cream a few different Easter colors to pipe into stars on the top around the edge and top those with fresh mandarin oranges, sprinkling toasted coconut over the whole thing.  Whoops!  

The berries were actually intended for some egg-shaped Pavlovas I had made, so of course I goofed those up as well - not goofed in the sense that I ruined them, but when I was making the whipped cream for the Pavlovas, I was thinking about the pie, so when I noticed a little bottle of coconut extract, I automatically added some to the whipped cream for the Pavlovas.  So instead of whipped cream on my coconut pie, I ended up with coconut whipped cream in my Palovas and berries on my pie. Of course, that worked out fine for everyone else, but I was mad at myself for losing track of what I was doing.

INGREDIENTS :
1 1/2 c granola - divided *
2 c sweetened flaked coconut - divided
5 T butter - room temp
1 t vanilla
1/4 t salt
PAM Cooking Spray
1 packet unflavored gelatin
4 oz cream cheese - room temp
2 T sugar
5 single-serve Chobani coconut yogurt **
Fresh fruit, etc. for garnish

* I used a plain granola, but an almond version might be nice with this.  I'd just steer clear of a fruity granola, since the fruit (usually raisins) tend to be dry, and the crust will be blind baked.

** I used a 10" pie plate, so it actually had room for more filling, but it was plenty thick as it was.  I just wouldn't have pressed the crust so far up the sides if I had realized that at the start.  No biggie.  I was actually surprised that the "overhang" held together when slicing.



DIRECTIONS :

Preheat oven to 350.  In your food process or blender, blend together 1c of the granola with 1c of the coconut, the butter, vanilla, and salt, until it reaches a sort of pasty texture.  Then add the remaining granola and coconut and give it a quick spin just to combine.  That way, the finer grind will help hold the crust together, and the coarser grind will add texture.






PAM your pie plate, then press the crust into the bottom and up the sides.  Bake for 10-12" until lightly golden.  Set aside to cool.



Beat together the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.

I have never seen large containers of the coconut Chobani, so I went with the single-serve containers.  Open and stir one container to loosen it up and sprinkle the gelatin over the top to bloom for a minute or two.  In the meantime, beat the remaining yogurt into the cream cheese mixture. Once the gelatin has bloomed, add that container to the rest, beating until well combined.  Unless you are working from a huge bag of coconut, if there is any left in the bag, go right ahead and add it to your filling ... unless you plan to toast it to sprinkle on top for garnish.



Spread the filling into the cooled crust, then chill to set.



Decorate with fresh fruit, toasted coconut, candied citrus peel, whatever you like, and enjoy!









6 comments:

  1. That crust is genius! Ah I love those coconut Chobani’s!! My favorite flavor! This is such a wonderful pie, makes you feel good eating it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had used the plain a lot in cooking/baking before but hadn't tried the flavors until recently. Definitely hooked on the coconut!

      Delete
  2. This looks great! What a fabulous cake.. and that crust! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great dessert heading into warmer weather. :)

      Delete
  3. This looks delish! Love the granola crust idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got folks in our crew who don't like traditional pie crust, so sometimes I'll do a meringue or try something different. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...