Hye Thyme Cafe: Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken

Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken : Hye Thyme Cafe



Because it's right around the corner from my apartment, I often shop at Hannaford. They put out a monthly magazine that used to be free with a $25 purchase, but I think they pretty much just give it to you for the asking nowadays. Anyhow, I try to remember to pick up a copy each month to check for coupons, etc., and in last month's, there was a page talking about different spices. One was Chinese Five Spice, and this is what they said ...
"CHINESE FIVE-SPICE POWDER: A distinctive blend familiar to fans of Chinese roast pork (where it's the dominant flavor), the five refers to licorice-like star anise and fennel, cinnamon-like cassia, floral Szechuan peppercorns, and fragrant cloves.  You know how roasted chicken tastes like ... chicken?  Roasted chicken with Chinese five-spice powder rubbed under and outside the skin tastes like an Asian gastronomic feast."
Seriously, don't you want to run out right now to get some five-spice? Lucky for me, the reason that blurb caught my eye in the first place is that a cousin visiting with my sister a while back left her with not one, but two different containers of five-spice for me. I was thinking that was a little odd (nice, but odd) and that it was more than I would use in a lifetime, but now I'm rethinking that!

This chicken was super juicy and delicious, and now I'm left wondering how the leftovers might translate to a chicken salad.  

INGREDIENTS :
1 roasting chicken
4 T butter, softened
1 lg orange
1 T Chinese Five-Spice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 450
  2. Wash your orange well to remove any pesticides and/or wax, then dry well and zest over the butter
  3. Squeeze 1T of juice from the orange over the butter as well
  4. Stir together the butter/orange mixture, adding to it the five-spice, garlic, salt and pepper to create a sort of compound butter
  5. Loosen the skin from the chicken and rub the butter mixture all over the chicken underneath the skin, rubbing any residual butter over the outside of the chicken to coat
  6. Cut up the orange, squeezing the juice into the cavity of the chicken and stuffing the orange inside
  7. Roast for about 20" at 450' to crisp the skin, then reduce to 325 and continue for another hour or so until cooked through (If a chicken comes with a thermometer, I usually cook it for another 15"-20" beyond the pop.)
  8. Remove chicken to serving platter, loosely tent with foil and let rest for about 15" before carving
  9. To the pan drippings, whisk in a few tablespoons of butter and flour, bringing up to a boil to thicken into a gravy (optional - pour through strainer)
  10. To carve, first remove the legs and wings, then cut straight down along one side of the breast bone and make another cut from the bottom in toward the bottom of your first cut so you can pull off the entire breast
  11. Transfer chicken breast to your cutting board or platter and slice it so that everyone gets a piece of skin with their chicken.
  12. Drizzle with gravy

Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken : Hye Thyme Cafe
Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken : Hye Thyme Cafe









Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken : Hye Thyme Cafe
I like to roast my chicken over veggies instead of a rack.

Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken : Hye Thyme Cafe
Breast removed as indicated above.
Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken : Hye Thyme Cafe









Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken : Hye Thyme Cafe


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lousy pictures ... awesome chicken!! ;)

      Delete
  2. I thought of you when I saw this recipe a few weeks ago. :-) If a shortage comes, we might have to start making our own. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/36060636540/paleo-sriracha-homemade-20-minute-sriracha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I haven't heard anything about that recently. To be funny, I had wrapped a bottle as an extra present at X-Mass for my sister. I definitely have a spare in the pantry, but this recipe could come in handy sometime. :)

      Delete
  3. I have five spice powder and never knew what to do with it. Now I know!! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought when it was given to me - what on Earth am I going to do with all of this?!?! After making this chicken, I immediately jotted a note to my cousin thanking her for leaving the five-spice for me. According to my sister, she likes to use it in some sort of fried rice dish. I'll have to try that soon. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...