Hye Thyme Cafe: Five-Spice Chicken Salad

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, March 23, 2014

Five-Spice Chicken Salad

Five-Spice Chicken Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe


After realizing how good Orange Five-Spice Roasted Chicken is, I started pondering how the leftovers would translate into chicken salad. I knew the flavors would be there, but I was afraid the dark color of the five-spice would turn it too dark and be a turn-off visually. Fortunately, that wasn't the case. It is a little on the dark side, but that just makes it look more like tuna salad than chicken salad, not enough to be disturbing. Hmm, I wonder how it would be with tuna??

Rather than the traditional celery and onion, I opted to stick with the Asian theme and replace the celery with diced water chestnuts for crunch and flavor, then swapped out the onion for scallion. I started by dicing my leftover chicken, which gave me about two cups. It will be easy enough to adjust up or down to accommodate however much chicken you are working with. I made a sandwich first on some whole-grain sandwich thins, then used the rest the next day over a bed of shredded romaine, water chestnuts, cucumber, scallion, and shredded carrot.

INGREDIENTS :
2 c diced cooked chicken
1 scallion, sliced
2 oz water chestnuts, diced
1/3 c mayonnaise (I always use Hellmann's)
2 t fresh-squeezed orange juice
1 t five-spice powder
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Stir together the mayonnaise, orange juice, and five-spice powder
  2. Toss the dressing with the chicken to coat the chicken
  3. Stir in the water chestnuts and scallion
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste

Five-Spice Chicken Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe


Five-Spice Chicken Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe


Five-Spice Chicken Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...