Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: What I really want to scream out loud is ...

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, March 7, 2014

Finish the Sentence Friday: What I really want to scream out loud is ...



This is a really easy one for me, although completely nonsensical.  I have, as a matter of fact, actually screamed this out loud on more than one occasion ...

I WANT TO GO H-O-M-E

What on Earth does that mean?  Why can't I go home??  You see, Home for me isn't where I live.  It's not even where I grew up really. HOME for me is Cape Cod - always has been, always will be.  There's just something about it.

I grew up living between the Cape and Boston, so I spent a fair amount of my time on the Cape.  After graduating from college, I lived full-time on the Cape for a few years before moving to New Orleans, which wasn't something I had ever intended to do.  It was to benefit someone else [vague, I know, and no, it wasn't some guy I was dating at the time].  I ended up with a great job I wasn't in a rush to leave, and I have a lot of family in New Orleans, although my heart was still on the Cape.

Then Hurricane Katrina struck, and I thought that was the kick in the a$$ I needed to get myself back where I belonged.  That didn't turn out as planned!  I did manage to acquire temporary housing via FEMA that was supposed to last six months, but of course that didn't happen.  The bigger problem was that I bought a car on my first day back and started looking for a job and a place to live on my second day back, but the job market had significantly dwindled since I left, and I was told by literally every real estate office that no one would rent to me without a six-month job history.

Exqueeze me ... if you want a history, how about the fact that I had spent every summer on the Cape, had a family summer home there for several years, then lived and worked there for another five years.  I actually offered to pay up front for a year, but they wouldn't even go for that.   I still half wonder if it was all those horror stories of prisoners, gangs, etc. coming out of New Orleans at the time, not that I think I look all that intimidating.  Even had I managed to score a job on that first day back, by the time FEMA pulled the rug out from under us, I still wouldn't have had a six-month job history to enable me to qualify for a rental???  I was told by several realtors that it was crazy to even consider a rental (most were crappy over-priced places a bunch of kids would band together to rent for the season) and that I should instead buy a house but that I couldn't get a mortgage either ... without a six-month job history!

Surely I'm not the first person who has ever moved to the Cape from elsewhere.  Did they all live in tents for six months?  Even if I could have afforded to live in a motel for six months, that's illegal.  Sigh ...

I know in my head that even if I was to win the lottery tomorrow and buy a house right on my old beach, the Cape is just not what it was when I was there.  Time has taken its toll, and most of my old stomping grounds are long since gone.  When I was there post-Katrina, all I was reading in the papers was about schools being combined due to the dwindling younger population and the concern for the elder population in terms of services such as police and fire, given the rate of people leaving.

Still, the expression may not have had this in mind, but "the heart wants what the heart wants."  When living in New Orleans, on days when I was feeling particularly nostalgic, I'd bring a book and head over to the pond in the park next to my apartment and try to pretend I was at the ocean. Didn't quite work without that salty sea spray, but it helped.

The other expression that applies is that HOME is where the heart is, and for whatever reason, mine will always beat on Cape Cod.  

I've tried clicking my heels together three times, but that hasn't worked either.  :(

What about you?  What has you wanting to scream out loud?



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:





Next week's prompt will be:  "My favorite decade was ..."





21 comments:

  1. Ack. Chris I wish you could go home. That's a horrible feeling, to be constantly displaced, slightly off-balance and away from the location which makes your soul feel it belongs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now to make matters worse, I moved to NY after Katrina to be near my Dad, my sister and her family. Dad has since passed away, my nephews have graduated college and are looking to leave the area, and my sister and her hubby want to head south to get away from these winters lol.

      Delete
  2. Aww, Chris, I truly hope you do get back to Cape Cod and home someday very soon. I feel for you and I never left New York, but grew up in Queens and live on Long Island. Even though Queens is about a 45 minute car ride from where I live now, still not the same. Something about home and when we were kids that will always be near and dear to my heart, too. So, in that sense can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have a place like that. I have a inkling of the feeling though as a live in PA as a child and then spent summers there almost all of my school years. When I go there to visit it has that comforting feeling, I just don't think I could ever live there. I wish you could get back to Cape Cod though - sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really really miss walking on the beach every night and falling asleep listening to the ocean. :(

      Delete
  4. I think many adults still have that urge to scream "I want to go home!" and I sometimes even add, "I want my mommy!!!" :) So happy you linked up with us, and thanks for telling this story so openly and honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a case of "the grass is always greener." I know it's not the same anymore, but I can't help it.

      Delete
  5. I so want to go home, too, and am always heartbroken when I "show" home to somebody and it's so very changed. I've never been to Cape Cod, but it's on my list. I hope to visit the one in your story and not the forgotten commercialized one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too - drive by my old houses when I'm in town. Seems so funny now because the one I grew up in was on a HUGE hill. I thought it fell into a sink hole or something. Amazing how your perspective changes. That hill ... not so big lol. I visit another friend in Boston and always get a little tug in my heart and want to pull the steering wheel when she takes a shortcut down the road next to my grandparents' street - want to drive down their road. It's sad thought since all of their gardens are gone now. Now more fruit trees, grape arbor, rose garden, etc. :(

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean. There are some places that are just too close to the heart to let go. I hope your dream comes true one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still working on that Lottery win. ;)

      Delete
  7. It looks like such a beautiful place in the photograph. My heart also pines for a particular place, also by the beach. A piece of my heart will always beat for that place. it must be hard for you knowing that so many of your old stomping grounds are no longer there, but you carry them in your heart. I hope you make your way back there one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least if I never get to live there again, it's close enough to visit now and again.

      Delete
  8. Aw! I lived on the east coast for most of my life and I've never been there! It does look beautiful! So sorry about all of that mishap that you had to go through after Katrina. One day I hope you will get to go H-O-M-E for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittnei! Aside from some of the winters, I love living on the East Coast. I still have family in NOLA, so I go back to visit, but I definitely don't miss living in a flood zone! I'll stick to the occasional Nor'Easter. ;)

      Delete
  9. I remember going to Cape Cod as a kid one summer - I can certainly understand why it holds such wonderful memories for you, Chris. I hope you are able to settle down there one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my dream ... to someday retire to a little house on the beach ... with a big kitchen for me to play in. ;)

      Delete
  10. Hi Chris! Thanks for leaving a comment on Amanda's Books and More. All my IntenseDebate comments on that post are lost due to a glitch (must be from their side). At least I still had your comment in my inbox. I enjoyed reading your comment and reading this post of yours. I hope you feel settled soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty well settled where I am ... but still wish I was by my old beach. Sorry about the glitch. I was wondering why there were no comments. Thought it was just because you posted later than others and they hadn't caught up with you yet. :(

      Delete
  11. sniffles...what a great post babe. While we only lost our condo, I still long to own a place of our own. Own a home that Dino knows belongs to him. We are still in the same town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be awesome to have his own yard to play in, etc. Someday ...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...