Hye Thyme Cafe: Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, March 16, 2014

Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake

Hye Thyme Cafe: Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake


I've never been one to cook/bake with Evaporated Milk or Sweetened Condensed Milk, but I picked up a can of each over the holidays for some reason, and they have been sitting in my pantry ever since.  Not having any yogurt or sour cream at the time, I was contemplating whether you could replace them with the Evaporated Milk in a Coffee Cake and, if so, how much should I use?

Knowing that I already love my Apricot Prune Sour Cream Coffee Cake, that's where I started.  That recipe calls for one cup of sour cream, so I used the whole can of Evaporated Milk and reduced the amount of butter to account for the difference.  This cake turned out great.

You will have a better (thicker) layer of streusel in your cake than what is pictured here.  I was playing around with a new (smaller) pan, so I ended up needing to bake a separate smaller cake, and some of my streusel went into that one.  Also, I'm not a huge nut fan when it comes to baked goods, so feel free to increase the amount of pecans, or try walnuts or some other nut.  If you do, you might want to make the nuts their own separate layer - batter/nuts/batter/streusel/repeat.


INGREDIENTS :
3 c flour
1/4 t salt
3/4 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
1 T vanilla
4 eggs
12 oz can evaporated milk

STREUSEL:
3/4 c brown sugar
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 T cinnamon
1 c pecan halves, chopped 

  • Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside
  • Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  • Add the vanilla to the butter mixture, then the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated
  • Mix in the evaporated milk
  • To the wet mixture, add the flour, a little at a time, just until blended
  • For the streusel, use a fork to mash the ingredients together until you achieve a pebbly texture
  • Lightly grease or spray a bundt or tube pan and fill with a layer of batter
  • Top with a layer of pecans, then streusel, and repeat
  • Bake at 325 until tester comes out clean, +/- 1 hour


Hye Thyme Cafe: Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake
Hye Thyme Cafe: Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake

Hye Thyme Cafe: Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake
Hye Thyme Cafe: Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake










Hye Thyme Cafe: Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake


Hye Thyme Cafe: Evaporated Milk Coffee Cake




4 comments:

  1. This looks so good and I too have a can of evaporated milk sitting in my cupboard. I can't remember why I bought it but its there waiting to be used. After seeing your recipe it won't be in the cupboard much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even remember why I bought it. I'm terrible about that - bought a bunch of stuff around the holidays because I wasn't sure what I would be in the mood to make. I still have a freezer full of different nuts, etc. because of that. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Chris, I saw this cake at Pin It Thursday and had to come over and check it out. I love to cook and bake with evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk, so this sounds delicious! :) I'm a new fan on Google+ and Twitter. Can't wait to browse more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Now I can browse through Yesterfood to figure out what to do with that can of Sweetened Condensed that 's still in the pantry. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...