Hye Thyme Cafe: Fiesta Steak Salad

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, February 16, 2014

Fiesta Steak Salad

Fiesta Steak Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe


I was going to call this one Steak Salad with Jalapeno Baked Bean Vinaigrette, but would you be reading this if I had? It sounds odd, but bear with me. You see, Goya's Fiesta (Jalapeno) Baked Beans are actually black beans, which work well in a salad. Aside from that, they are already seasoned with a jalapeno sauce and are full of corn, red peppers, onion, etc.

With the weather being so crazy lately, I've been in hibernation mode. Not wanting to go to the grocery store, I looked at what I had on hand to see what I could make for dinner last night. I had a couple of small eye round steaks in the freezer, so I pulled those out to thaw, and I had a lot of romaine lettuce and some other veggies, so a steak salad sounded like it would fit the bill.

In deciding what direction I wanted to go in, I first thought about the can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce that I recently picked up - maybe some sort of adobo rub on the steak and then use some in a dressing? Then I saw the baked beans and wanted to use those but was afraid the sauce would clash with the adobo, so I decided to stick with the beans and just grill the steak in my grill pan, seasoned with a simple grill seasoning.

INGREDIENTS :
1 grilled steak (I used a small eye round)
1 head romaine, washed and sliced or torn
1 carrot, sliced
2 small pickling cucumbers (more flavor-less seedy), sliced
Mixed grape tomatoes, sliced
1 can Goya Fiesta (Jalapeno) Baked Beans
1/4 c rice vinegar
1 T olive oil
1/8 t cumin
1 green onion


  1. Start by grilling your steak so it is well rested by the time you're ready for it
  2. Pour the baked beans into a strainer to drain, reserving the liquid
  3. Toss your Romaine with the carrots, cucumbers, and tomatoes, and spread on a serving plate
  4. Spoon a row of the drained bean mixture lengthwise across the center of your salad - the beans will get mixed into the salad as you eat
  5. Slice the steak thin and spread over the beans
  6. Whisk together 1/4 c of the reserved jalapeno sauce from the baked beans with the rice vinegar, olive oil, and cumin
  7. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, sprinkle some green onion over the top (cilantro would be nice if you have some) and enjoy

Fiesta Steak Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...