Hye Thyme Cafe: Carrot Bread with Star Anise

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Carrot Bread with Star Anise

Carrot Bread with Star Anise : Hye Thyme Cafe


I have a big bag of carrots in the fridge and wanted to try something new, so I looked up what flavors work well with carrots, and star anise was one of them. I may have used more than necessary, but you won't catch me complaining! You may not taste a whole lot of carrot here, but it's oh so good! If you're a fan of anisette toast or pizzelle, the smell alone will drive you crazy.

INGREDIENTS :
2 lg eggs
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c light brown sugar
3 pieces star anise
5.3 oz container Chobani fruit on the bottom Pineapple Yogurt
2 c shredded carrot (about 2 lg)
2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

  1. Start by measuring out your white sugar and removing a tablespoon or so - run that tablespoon of sugar through a spice grinder with the star anise to powder the star anise
  2. Beat the eggs until nice and frothy, then beat in the sugars - including the sugar with the star anise - until smooth
  3. Blend in the yogurt and shredded carrots (I left the skins on since that's where most of the nutrients are in carrots)
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, then add a little at a time to the wet mixture until just combined
  5. Spray or grease a loaf pan and spread mixture into pan (will be thick), banging the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles
  6. Bake at 350 for approximately 45" until tester inserted into center comes out clean
Let me tell you, that star anise sugar smelled soooooooooo good when I was grinding it, my brain was immediately trying to come up with other uses for it! I wanted to make some extra right then and there to sprinkle on fresh berries, stir into coffee, use in whipped cream, etc.

Most quick bread recipes call for butter or oil, but I like to cut the fat where I can, often by substituting yogurt. Here, the little bits of pineapple in the yogurt are a nice addition.


Carrot Bread with Star Anise : Hye Thyme Cafe
Carrot Bread with Star Anise : Hye Thyme Cafe

Carrot Bread with Star Anise : Hye Thyme Cafe

Carrot Bread with Star Anise : Hye Thyme Cafe

Carrot Bread with Star Anise : Hye Thyme Cafe

Carrot Bread with Star Anise : Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...