Hye Thyme Cafe: Butterscotch-Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, February 17, 2014

Butterscotch-Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

Butterscotch-Coconut Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

Butterscotch is one of those flavors that I really enjoy when eating it, but I don't think of it often. I completely forgot that I had a bag of butterscotch chips in my stash, so when I came across them, I decided to put them to use before I forgot about them again. I had also just replenished my coconut supply, so I figured I'd combine the two in a cookie. When it comes to oatmeal, I personally like the texture that comes from using both old fashioned and quick oats.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, softened
1 c sugar
1/2 c light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c old-fashioned oats
1/2 c quick oats
1 c butterscotch chips, divided
1 c sweetened-flaked coconut


  1. Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy 
  2. Add the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla 
  3. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt, and add to the butter mixture, a little at a time 
  4. Mix in the oats 
  5. Separate about half of the butterscotch chips and run a knife though them so when baking, the flakes will melt into the cookie dough; mix whole and chopped chips into dough 
  6. Mix in the coconut until well distributed 
  7. Preheat oven to 350 
  8. Scoop rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets 
  9. Bake 12-15" until golden - your nose should tell you when these are done; the butterscotch scent becomes very prominent 
  10. Let cool on trays

Butterscotch-Coconut Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

Butterscotch-Coconut Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe
Butterscotch-Coconut Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

Butterscotch-Coconut Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...