Hye Thyme Cafe: Smashed Potatoes with Green Onions and Crispy Pepperoni

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, January 23, 2014

Smashed Potatoes with Green Onions and Crispy Pepperoni

Smashed Potatoes with Green Onions and Crispy Pepperoni : Hye Thyme Cafe


It seem like I'm seeing Smashed Potatoes everywhere lately - in the feed of blogs I follow, on Pinterest, Facebook, etc. I tend to steer clear of things like that figuring if I'm seeing it everywhere, you probably are too, so why do you want/need to see it again here. Well too bad! I had a bag of small red potatoes, so I smashed them, and I have no regrets!  ;)

To be honest, unless I was making a ginormous batch of these to serve on Superbowl Sunday or something like that, I probably wouldn't bother to make them intentionally. Meaning, I wouldn't go out of my way to boil potatoes to then bake them. On the other hand, if I have leftover potatoes, I wouldn't hesitate to make them again. It's pretty much a batch of potato skins with extra potato since you're not hollowing them out.

You can certainly top them with anything you like. Maybe a buffalo chicken version, a taco version, etc. I like to keep a bag or two of pepperoni in the refrigerator. Aside from coming in handy for salads, pizza, cheese and crackers, etc., it also crisps up very nicely in the microwave to be used like bacon bits. So I used crispy pepperoni and green onions on mine, of course with melted cheese.

INGREDIENTS :
Small potatoes
Olive oil or cooking spray
Salt and pepper
Shredded cheese blend (I used a Mexican blend)
Thin sliced pepperoni (12-15)
3 green onions

  1. Boil the potatoes until fork tender
  2. Preheat oven to 375-400
  3. Drain potatoes and transfer to baking sheet, pressing down on them with the back of a spoon or a potato masher to "smash" 
  4. Brush lightly with olive oil - or spray with PAM
  5. Season generously with Salt and Pepper
  6. Bake until exposed edges are browned to desired color/crispness
  7. While potatoes are baking, line plate with a paper towel, a single layer of pepperoni, and another layer of paper towel to prevent spatters and soak up the grease - microwave 30-60 seconds until crisp, then break into pieces
  8. Top with shredded cheese, chopped green onions, and pepperoni crumbles
  9. Return to oven until cheese is melted


Boil potatoes until fork tender.
Drain potatoes, transfer to baking sheet, and "smash" with back of spoon.

Season generously with salt and pepper.


Line plate with paper towel and pepperoni slices; top with another paper towel.
Microwave pepperoni 30-60 seconds until crispy, then break into pieces.
Top potatoes with shredded cheese, pepperoni bits, and green onion.Bake potatoes until edges are browned and crispy.


Return to oven until cheese is melted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...