Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: "My blogging goals for this year are..."

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, January 3, 2014

Finish the Sentence Friday: "My blogging goals for this year are..."



This week's Finish the Sentence Friday prompt is "My blogging goals for this year are..."

This seems like such a ridiculous thing to say, but I've never really been a goal-oriented type of person.  I guess it's the pessimist in me, but as far as I'm concerned, if I get out of bed and manage to put one foot in front of the other every day, I'm doing pretty darn good!  And since I work from home most of the week, I get bonus points for actually changing out of my jammies.

When it comes to my blog, there are things I would like to do ...

  • Post more regularly
  • Increase traffic/readers
  • Update my page in terms of tech/visual
  • Become more proficient with social media
  • Improve my photo skills

The thing is, none of that is really all that important to me.  I enjoy playing in the kitchen, I enjoy sharing what I do in the kitchen with anyone who might be interested, I really enjoy interacting with those people online through comments and e-mails, I have fun receiving cookbooks and other things to check out and review, and I especially have fun participating in challenges.

That's the thing - I enjoy/have fun blogging.  I'm not here for the stress so many others seem to put themselves through.  I don't expect to ever become the next Ree Drummond or Bakerella, so goals really seem beside the point.  If someone is interested in what I have to say and tunes in to see what I've been cooking/baking lately, I don't really think they'll be all that concerned with my stat count or whether I make my own memes.   They'll be wondering if I've made something they want to try and will hopefully appreciate (despite the quality or lack thereof) the photos guiding them through the steps.

Another reason I'm not blogging goal oriented is that I tend to suffer from CPADD - Computer-Prompted ADD.  I'll be looking up something like how to add social networking icons to my site, and before I know it, I'm somehow reading all about how the White Wagtail is the national bird of Latvia.  It appears that my fingers are as stream-of-conscious as my sleep-deprived brain.  I never know where they'll take me next on the internet, but it's usually not that code I was trying to find ... what was that for again?  Oh, that reminds me, I wanted to look up ... argh!!



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:





Next week's prompt will be:  "If I had a million dollars, I ..."


37 comments:

  1. I was never a resolutions type of girl myself, but like you I know what I want to accomplish with my blog and so I guess that is where I am at at this point. For me, as I said on my blog though, I need to find just a bit better balance with all I do want to accomplish and do with it this year. Here is to hoping we can get it right for us this upcoming year, Chris!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot, I do at least have ONE blogging goal for 2014 - I need to make more Armenian recipes! :)

      Delete
  2. So happy to find you through FTSF. Your pictures are making me drool. I'l be back soon to read your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you stop by. Hopefully you'll come back and find something you like. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with the computer-prompted ADD. I need to remain focused or I've spent 45 minutes reading about the mating habits of spider monkeys when I wanted to speck-check strategic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst is when I can't remember what it was that I was originally trying to look up! Then I'll eventually shut down for the night, and as I'm about to fall asleep, I suddenly remember, but the computer is off ... do I log back in to look it up, write myself a note, hope I'll remember again in the morning ... oy!

      Delete
  4. I think your photos look great already! I agree re: blogging being a hobby - and those who are interested in what you are writing about not really caring about your stats :) It sounds like you know what you want blog-wise.

    As for resolutions generally, last year was the only year I ever successfully kept one (lost weight). So maybe I'm buoyed a wee bit by that success... That said, blogging remains firmly in the hobby zone.

    Best - Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it was YOU then!!! I found that weight you're missing!!! :(

      Delete
  5. Well, I can't argue with that reasoning. When I look up recipes I never check the person's twitter following but I do click on whatever comes up first or second on the google search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very valid point paying attention to SEO rankings could put me higher in those Google searches.

      Delete
  6. Ha, Chris - I totallly have CPADD! That's why I think I'm going to try to shut down the internet when I write to keep me from wandering off topic. And I think you have a great attitude about blogging - you have fun doing it but it doesn't keep you from doing other things you love. Like cooking - I get hungry every time I visit your site :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not supposed to just get hungry, you're supposed to get inspired to go play in the kitchen! ;)

      Delete
  7. Well I never! Latvia has a national bird! That's awesome. I wonder what England's is...hang on...

    ..Robin Red Breast. Most excellent :D Happy with that.

    Um. Right. Blog goals.

    I like yours. Keep having fun. Keep writing as much as you want, when you want, AND ALWAYS COOK :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see pasta in my future - one of Santa's elves got me a pasta maker for X-Mass this year. :)

      Delete
  8. I don't think your photos need any improvement at all - they look fantastic! I think I might suffer a bit of CPADD myself. My partner or my son will walk past the computer sometimes and say "WHAT are you looking at??" five minutes after I said I had to do something really important on the computer and I realise I'm way off track! Have fun with your pasta maker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one thing if you actually looked up whatever you started to do, but sometimes, I'll realize I never even got that far lol.

      Delete
  9. I think if you write with a passion, people will eventually find you and stick around! Keep going :) I've never heard about CPADD but it doesn't sound too bad because I'm sure you end up learning lots of new things that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just being funny about CPADD - that's NOT a real thing! :)

      Delete
  10. Love that CPADD. I do that in the reverse kinda. I am sitting down to read a blog and then I'm googling how to get a pin it button like the one I see on the site I'm reading (or something along those lines). I love your posts and the stories you tell behind your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There are too many temptations/distractions online!!! :)

      Delete
  11. Great goals - and great to remember, too, that it should be about having fun and writing because we like to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize that there are a LOT of people who make their actual living from blogging, but I see waaaaaay too many people who do it just for fun or pocket change stressing over their stats, etc. Must be a buzz kill!

      Delete
  12. "CPADD" was my best laugh of the day! I SO get that too!! Maybe we should form a support group! lol (Sharing some comment love and visiting from FFTS!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only kidding, but I half expect if you Google it, something might come up! ;)

      Delete
  13. Funny, I've never heard of Bakerella or Ree Drummond, but I do know you! I like your goals...have fun with it. Mine is the same.
    CPADD is sucking up people's time all over the world. One of these days they'll come up with a cure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - Bakerella is the Queen of Cake Pops (which personally, I'm sick of seeing - cut, but over it), and Ree Drummon is the Pioneer Woman. We'll start working on that cure. ;)

      Delete
    2. Whoops, that was supposed to say CUTE, not CUT.

      Delete
  14. I'd love to post more regularly too! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that with books. :) Thanks for stopping by SK!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem with the books is that I'll sometimes pick one up thinking about characters from one of the other books I'm reading and get confused for a minute lol.

      Delete
  15. Good goals - I can totally relate to computer prompted ADD :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK if I eventually remember what I was looking for in the first place, but when I can't, I get soooooo mad at myself!!

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank You!! If you ever try anything, you'll have to come back and tell me how it turned out. :)

      Delete
  17. My wife's grandpa was a crabby Armenian type food. She'd probably like to try some of these recipes. They look good! your goals sounds pretty similar to mine. Just do what we do and see what happens.Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, was he a crabby Armenian, or he was crabby and liked Armenian food? ;) I really do need to post more Armenian recipes. I've been pretty lax about that I'm afraid.

      Delete
  18. I have that CPADD too. I'm all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But not right now, right? Cuz you totally meant to come here!! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...