Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: "If I had a Million Dollars, I ..."

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, January 10, 2014

Finish the Sentence Friday: "If I had a Million Dollars, I ..."

If I had a Million Dollars, I ...

I probably stand as much chance of ever seeing a million dollars as I do of Ed McMahon actually rising from his grave and handing me one of those Publishers Clearing House checks.  Well, maybe the odds tilt slightly in my favor in that scenario (sorry Ed).  Either way, a million dollars doesn't actually go all that far anymore.  Not that I'd turn my nose up at it!  Heck, in some ways, $10,000 would feel like a million to me.  I don't have any wild or crazy ideas for what I'd do with the money though, so my post will be pretty short this week.  Here's the reality of what I'd do with it (and probably in this order) ...

  • Get a new car - probably still a Honda, but definitely an upgrade
  • Pay off my nephews' college debt
  • Get a small house (with a big kitchen) on the beach on Cape Cod
  • Invest a portion of what's left to make sure I can pay the upkeep/taxes on the house
  • If I have enough left, get my Mom a condo wherever she would like
  • Something for my sister and her hubby, but I'm not sure what yet - don't think I'd have enough left for another house - hmm, maybe an investment property in CA or FL that they could use whenever they wanted (self funding)
  • Some random nice and/or fun things for other friends/family
  • Increase the amounts of my usual donations
  • Get a dog (probably a Comfort Retriever)
  • Invest, invest, invest whatever is left

I'd say that's a pretty tame list, but when you figure how much a house goes for these days - or should I say a house on the beach on Cape Cod - that's already the bulk of your stash right there.

So, what would you do with a million bucks?  Something crazy, entrepreneurial, philanthropic ...



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:





Next week's prompt will be:  "I once saw the biggest ..."



24 comments:

  1. Totally had me smiling with the Ed McMahon reference and seriously I know the feeling though and truly don't have a shot either, but I guess we can just keep on dreaming, I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to fantasize about it when those lottery jackpots really start to climb. :)

      Delete
  2. You are so right, Chris. A million doesn't go as far as we think these days. Ten million or a hundred million? Then you could go a little nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that would be AFTER taxes, right?? ;)

      Delete
  3. Tame, perhaps, but very generous and responsible, too! Seems to be you *deserve* to win a million dollars! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just said that to ensure you get a cut if I do win! ;)

      Delete
  4. First I have to tell you I'm starving after seeing all the photos on your sidebar so thanks. :)

    You are smart to invest. I went hog-wild and probably left myself with nothing. But then who needs money if you're living in a tree house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my sister was little, my Dad built her a huge playhouse for outside. When she outgrew it and it passed to me, I tried to convince him to put it in a tree for me, but that never happened. :(

      Delete
  5. I've never been to Cape Cod but hear that it's wonderful and I think your choice of having a house there is the perfect use for your one million bucks! Think of all the cool recipes you could make using fresh seafood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely, I don't eat seafood. A few shrimp here and there, or a bite of lobster, but that's about it. To make matters worse, I spent my summers as a kid working at a tee-shirt shop right on the main drag, so every tourist who ever came in would ask me for the best place for various seafood. I must have said "From what I hear ..." about a million times. ;)

      Delete
  6. It's so true when you say a million dollars doesn't go far these days so all of us probably may have stretched it a little. I'd still take it, though! I've never been to Cape Cod but I can imagine it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing I missed on the Cape was a variety of trees - it was mostly pine everywhere. Definitely miss being on the ocean though!! I'll drive by a lake or something and automatically draw a huge breath through my nose, but you don't get that salty sea air lol. Oh well.

      Delete
  7. Tame and smart. I don't people who come into money think about what the upkeep and taxes would be on a big house. Smart list. I have my own student loan debt but I'd like to pay off someone else's also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no debt ... but I have nothing else either lol.

      Delete
  8. Oh that home in Cape Cod sounds dreamy! And I love that you specified small home with a big kitchen! Something about that is so romantic. I think your plans for 1 million are my favorite that I have read. Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I could afford the BIG house, I don't think I'd want one - too much upkeep involved, and I'd be spending most of my time in the kitchen, so unless I was constantly having guests over, I'd be spending a lot of time cleaning rooms that don't get used, etc. Besides, when you do have guests, doesn't everyone somehow end up in the kitchen anyhow?? :)

      Delete
  9. I do like how tame your list is. I had to laugh about getting a Honda. I take some parenting classes on the rich side of town & all those moms drive Mercedes & here I come with my Honda Accord like it's some sorta junk car eh? Hehe. I love my car & like my comment on designer handbags, there's NO way I'd get a Mercedes or any foo foo car like that cuz I'd always be scared it'd get stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm so with you on the big kitchen thing, except in your case I can actually see the wonderful benefits of it on the left hand column of my screen :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, my comments are acting wonky today - the one below was supposed to be above in response to Bianca, and whenever I his Reply, instead of opening this window, it jumps to the top of the page?? Oh well. Thank you Katia!! I especially like kitchens that are big enough to fit a love seat or sofa in them. Comes in handy when you have people over and everyone jams themselves in the kitchen. That can be unnerving sometimes though - when you're trying to feed a crowd and they're all standing around watching you lol.

      Delete
  11. Sorry, I think you just spent at least 5 million dollars. A house on Cape Cod with some left over? ARE YOU JOKING ME?
    Oh I wish, see that's why I hate this game. REALITY.
    Although, your reality sure sounds nice. I wish I could live there too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so if we ALL have $1,000,000 and pool our resources ...

      Delete
  12. I guess if you had the extra money to "waste," it wouldn't matter much, but you always hear about how much time those cars spend in the shop for repairs, when pretty much all I do is run to Pep Boys for regular oil changes and have never had a problem with the Honda. They seem to last forever (except of course for my last one, which was killed by Hurricane Katrina).

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes, a nice big kitchen, forgot about that...would be so nice to cook in a professional kitchen. Hough I would love to live in the colder regions...sighs...that would rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - The grass is always greener! I could use some sunshine right about now. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...