Hye Thyme Cafe: Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, January 9, 2014

Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Hye Thyme Cafe: Baked Spinach-Artichoke Dip


One of the first places where I went out to eat when living in New Orleans was Houston's.  If you've ever been there, you understand just how awesome their Spinach Dip is and just how sad it is that they won't share the recipe!  There are a bazillion copy-cat recipes online, but I haven't yet gotten it right myself or found that pot-o-gold (gooey-creamy-cheesy perfection) at the end of the internet.  The first version I tried contained eggs and was too much like a souffle.  Others were too slimy, too gummy, bland, you name it.  So, until I find that magic combination that hits me just right, this version is what I'll be chowing down on.


INGREDIENTS :
1 lg clove garlic
1/2 c grated Romano
3 oz cream cheese
14 oz can artichoke hearts, divided
1/4 t onion powder
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c mayonnaise
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
1 1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Tortilla chips or other vessel for shoveling


  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Chop half of your artichokes and set aside
  • In the bowl of your food processor, pulse together the garlic and romano
  • Add to that the cream cheese, un-chopped artichokes, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes and mayonnaise, and pulse again
  • Transfer to a bowl and stir in the chopped artichokes, spinach, and most of your shredded Jack
  • Transfer to a lightly sprayed large ramekin or other oven-safe baking dish and top with remaining shredded Jack
  • Bake for about 30" until bubbly and lightly golden on top
  • Serve with tortilla chips, pita chips, celery sticks, crackers ...


Hye Thyme Cafe: Baked Spinach-Artichoke Dip



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that's glorious!! Hubby's going to enjoy some of this soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a huge bowl of that with chips for dinner last night. I'm thinking about using the leftovers to stuff some chicken over the weekend.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...