Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Macaroons

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Coconut Macaroons

Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Macaroons

Since I was already in the process of making meringues for Pavlovas and using coconut for the cookies I was baking as part of The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, putting the two together was the next logical step.  That meant Coconut Macaroons, one of my favorites!  As  it turns out, as evidenced by the fact that they were generally eaten in threes, I'm not the only one who loves them.


INGREDIENTS :
4 c sweetened flaked coconut
4 egg whites
1/4 t salt
1/2 c superfine sugar
1 t almond extract
chocolate (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Spread the coconut on a parchment-lined tray and bake until lightly toasted
  • Beat the whites until frothy
  • Add the salt and continue beating until soft peaks form
  • Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form
  • Add the almond extract and beat for just a few seconds more to incorporate
  • Gently fold the coconut into the beaten whites
  • Scoop or mound onto parchment-lined trays *
  • Bake for 15-20" until set and a light golden color
  • Let cool right on trays
  • If desired, melt a bit of chocolate and drizzle over the tops

*  Being left handed, I have never had luck with cookie scoops, which I'm guessing would work well for these.  Instead, I dipped a rounded 1/4 c measuring cup in water and scooped the coconut mixture against the side of the bowl like you would with the cookie scoop.  The water allowed it to release from the cup rather than sticking.  I made one tray this way, then switched to a rounded measuring tablespoon to make a tray of small Macaroons as well.  


Lightly toast coconut in the oven for an extra boost of flavor
Beat whites until foamy, then add salt and continue until soft peaks form

Add sugar, a little at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form
Beat in extract, then gently fold in coconut.









Mound onto parchment-lined trays.
Mound onto parchment-lined trays.

Cool right on trays.
Bake at 350 for 15-20" until lightly golden.
 
If desired, drizzle with melted chocolate.


Hye Thyme Cafe: Coconut Macaroons




2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I've never made macaroons before so I might have to give them a try this year. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be on a meringue kick lately - macarons, pavlovas, macaroons ...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...