Hye Thyme Cafe: Chili's Southwestern Chicken Egg Rolls

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, December 29, 2013

Chili's Southwestern Chicken Egg Rolls

Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe


Another item requested to be added to our Christmas Eve menu for this year was Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls. I don't recall now if it was me or my sister who first stumbled across this recipe a few years ago, but they're one of the few things that I actually get cravings for.

Because we liked them so much the way they were, I have never altered the recipe. Click HERE for the copy-cat version we use. What we didn't care for was the tortilla wrappers and the avocado-ranch dip. Instead, we make them in wonton wrappers and use something else for dipping. I usually just stir a little Sriracha into sour cream. That adds a touch of heat with the cool from the sour cream without introducing a whole new flavor profile like the ranch.

Because I was making these as an appetizer, I chose to cut down the wonton wrappers. First cut one to determine the size you like, then you can stack a number of them, using the first as a template. Don't waste those scraps! Keep them in the freezer, and the next time you make Chinese food, or maybe an Asian-inspired salad, defrost and trim the scraps and give them a quick fry to use as a garnish or like chips and salsa with a little sweet and sour or duck sauce. 

Sorry I don't have a finished shot or a cross-section, but I blinked and they were gone! If you haven't wrapped egg rolls before, see photos below. Keep a little prep bowl of water handy so you can moisten the final corners to seal them shut. Fry in small batches so you don't over-crowd your pot.

If you have leftovers, wrap and freeze, then you can just pop them in the oven to re-crisp the next time you want them.


Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe
Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe

Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe
Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe



Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe

Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe
Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe

Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe
Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe

Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe


Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe



2 comments:

  1. Those look absolutely amazing!! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I usually make them full sized, and whatever we don't eat goes in the freezer for another night. So easy to just pop them in the oven to heat through and re-crisp.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...