Hye Thyme Cafe: Apricot-Almond Overnight French Toast

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, December 22, 2013

Apricot-Almond Overnight French Toast

Apricot-Almond Overnight French Toast : Hye Thyme Cafe

I went to visit a friend last weekend, and we made a version of this, but we mucked it up a bit by using the 2% milk she had. That turned out to be too watery, so the center didn't set right. We did eat the edges, and it was really good, so I decided to give it another shot. When we made it together, we used almond filling, but of course I couldn't find any at my local grocery stores, so I switched gears and used almond paste. Truth be told, I like it both ways, but this one is a bit more involved since I added a little Karo and Amaretto. Whatever works for you is fine - I'm sure you could do it with just the paste, but since the recipe I originally started making overnight french toast with called for 1/4 cup maple syrup, I figured a tablespoon of Karo with the paste instead would be fine.

You can play around with different breads, too. When we did it together, we used a big loaf of sweet bread. This time, I used a loaf of Challah. I used a baguette for my last French Toast and didn't have enough, so I even cubed a couple of club rolls I had on hand to fill in the gaps. I would just recommend NOT using sandwich bread - you want something thicker and sturdier.


INGREDIENTS :
1 loaf Challa Bread
4 oz almond paste
1 T corn syrup
2 T Amaretto
3 oz cream cheese
3-4 T apricot preserves
3 eggs
4 T butter, melted then cooled
3 T sugar
1 1/2 c milk
Sliced almonds (optional)
Powdered sugar and/or Syrup of choice
Cooking spray or additional butter

  1. Spray or butter a casserole dish
  2. Thick slice the bread, lining the dish with one layer
  3. In a small bowl, mash together the almond paste, corn syrup and Amaretto
  4. Spread the paste over the bread, topping that with the preserves
  5. Cover with a second layer of bread
  6. Dot that layer all over with the cream cheese
  7. Top with remaining bread
  8. Beat together the eggs, butter, sugar, and milk, then pour over the top, pressing down to make sure the mixture soaks into all of the bread
  9. Cover and refrigerate overnight
  10. Remove from fridge and let warm up a bit while you pre-heat the oven to 375
  11. Top with almonds if desired, then cover with foil and bake 20"
  12. Remove foil and bake for another 40" or so until golden and set in the center
  13. Serve dusted with powdered sugar and/or syrup

Mash together the almond paste, Karo, and Amaretto
Top bread with paste mixture, then preserves and another layer of bread


Dot all over with cream cheese
Top with remaining bread

Cover and refrigerate overnightBeat the eggs, milk, butter, and sugar and pour over the top, pressing down



Top with slivered almonds and bake at 375 20" covered, 40" uncovered


Dust with powdered sugar and/or a drizzle of syrup

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or a drizzle of syrup

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or a drizzle of syrup

2 comments:

  1. Could this be made in a slow cooker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't personally made one in a slow cooker, but I have seen others who have. I keep thinking it would be steamed and have a different texture that I'm not sure I'd like.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...