Hye Thyme Cafe: Almond Thins

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, December 23, 2013

Almond Thins

Hye Thyme Cafe: Almond Thins


Making an Apricot-Almond Overnight French Toast left me with extra almond paste.  I was going to throw it in the freezer for another occasion, but since it's the holidays and baking is already in the works, I decided to use it up another way and came up with these cookies.

Although these are very tasty, should you decide to make a batch, I'm guessing that yours will turn out less "rustic" looking than mine.  I don't know about you, but I'm over all the $ I've spent on nuts lately - pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc... Rather than shelling out [not pun intended] for a bag of sliced almonds, I actually sliced some of the whole almonds I already had on hand.  That's all well and good, but it's still easier to cut through the thin slices, so yours won't be quite so chunky.


INGREDIENTS :
1/2 c butter, softened
1/4 c sugar
3/4 c light brown sugar
4 oz almond paste
2 eggs
1 t almond extract
1/2 t salt
2 c flour
1 1/2 c sliced almonds
Optional - chocolate, sprinkles, etc. for decorating

  • Cream together the butter, sugars, and almond paste
  • Add the eggs, one at a time until incorporated, and the almond extract
  • Whisk together the salt and flour and add to the butter mixture, a little at a time
  • Mix in the almonds until evenly distributed
  • Lightly oil (or spray with cooking spray) a sheet of plastic wrap (overhanging) and set inside a loaf pan
  • Press the dough into the lined loaf pan, fold in the overhang, and press the dough into the pan to compact
  • Pull up the plastic to make sure it didn't get pressed INTO the dough anywhere, then close lightly and freeze for at least an hour
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Unwrap dough and turn out onto work surface
  • Using a very sharp knife, cut into as thin slices as possible and transfer to parchment-lined trays
  • Bake until lightly browned and golden around the edges (10-12")
  • Once cooled, play around with dipping or drizzling with melted chocolate, sprinkles, additional chopped almonds, coconut, etc.  

Dang, why didn't I think to use coconut when I made these?!?!  Ooh, some candied orange peel would be nice too!



Press dough into loaf pan lined with lightly oiled plastic wrap
Fold in the overhanging plastic and press down to compress.

After freezing to firm the dough, slice as thin as possible.
Transfer to parchment-linked baking sheets.

Bake at 350 10-12" until golden and browned around the edges Bake at 350 10-12" until golden and browned around the edges
 
Play around with dipping/drizzling with chocolate, sprinkles, etc.
 




2 comments:

  1. How awesome! They almost look like those Italian almond cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister sometimes buys these cookies that are super thin with I think cranberries and almonds or pistachios. I had those in mind at the time. Kind of like a really thin, dense biscotti. That's what I was shooting for. These aren't as thin or dense, but I have been enjoying them. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...