Hye Thyme Cafe: Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, November 7, 2013

Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers

Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers : Hye Thyme Cafe


The next time you're baking sweet potatoes to go with dinner, add one extra so you can bake up a batch of these addictive crackers!

It took me a few tries to get these down - I was adding too much flour and mixing the dough for too long, so it was very springy, like pizza dough, and the crackers were tough. I finally got it right, and I couldn't stop eating them!!

I used a baked sweet potato. I suppose you could boil them to save time, but that might require an adjustment in the baking temp/time to remove the extra moisture. The microwave is another option. I have never nuked my potatoes, but I know a lot of people who swear by it.

INGREDIENTS :
1 sweet potato
2 T rosemary, chopped
3 T olive oil
1 c flour
2 t baking powder
sea salt

  1. Bake your sweet potato until fork tender - I baked mine directly on the oven rack at 350 for about 45"
  2. Once cooled, peel the sweet potato, chop into large pieces, and add to the bowl of your stand mixer along with the rosemary and olive oil (I had some dried rosemary to use up, so if you are using fresh, you might want to reduce it a bit so it's not overpowering.)
  3. Mix at medium speed until well blended and smooth
  4. Add the baking powder and flour and mix just until it comes together
  5. Roll out dough very thin on a lightly floured work surface - 1/8-1/4" thick
  6. Cut into desired shape(s) and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet
  7. Sprinkle with sea salt
  8. Bake at 350 for about 30" until just starting to brown at the edges
  9. When your last try comes out, turn off the oven and leave the door open for a minute to release some of the heat, then put all of the crackers back in (you can pile them onto one tray) to allow the residual heat to finish crisping them

Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers : Hye Thyme Cafe
Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers : Hye Thyme Cafe


Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers : Hye Thyme Cafe
Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers : Hye Thyme Cafe


Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers : Hye Thyme Cafe


Rosemary and Olive Oil Sweet Potato Crackers : Hye Thyme Cafe


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...