Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti with Pecans and White Chocolate

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pumpkin Biscotti with Pecans and White Chocolate

Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti


Maybe I should have said biscotti-style.  Although these cookies are twice baked, as the name biscotti suggests, a traditional biscotti is really an almond cookie and contains no fat.  These cookies contain no almonds but do have fat - in the form of margarine.  It took me a few tries to make these.  I first tried a version with yogurt, but they were very tough and I had too much white chocolate, so they didn't bake right.  I next tried reducing the yogurt and white chocolate and adding a little oil to the mix, but that wasn't it either.  The third time was the charm - I omitted the yogurt and oil and added margine and pecans.  I wish I could bottle this scent as a winter candle!

INGREDIENTS :
3 c flour
1 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1 c lt brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c margarine (1 stick)
3/4 c Libby's Pure Pumpkin
2 t vanilla
1/2 c white chocolate chips
1/2 c pecan pieces

  • Fill clean spray bottle with a little water and set aside to come to room temp
  • Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; set aside
  • Cream together the brown sugar and eggs until light and fluffy
  • Beat in the margarine, pumpkin, and vanilla until well combined
  • Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture in two or three additions, until just barely combined
  • Either pulse the chips and nuts together briefly in a food processor, or run a knife though them to chop (optonal) - I like when some of the chips are whole, while some of the chocolate is speckled and melted throughout
  • Separate the dough into two portions and drop onto parchment lined baking sheet
  • Run hands under water and shake off excess, then pat each portion of dough into a loaf, approximately 1/2" high
  • Bake at 350 for 30-35" until firm and lightly browned
  • Allow to cool 15-20", then lightly spray all over with water to reduce crumbling and slice into strips with a serrated knife
  • Return to baking sheet, reduce oven temp to 300, and bake for an additional 30-35" until nicely crisped and lightly browned (this second bake time will be determined by how crunchy you like them)


Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti
Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti

Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti


Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti


Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti
Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti


Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti
!!  Biscotti are great for dunking !!
 

Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Biscotti



2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing and I bet it smells and tastes the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does smell awesome! That's why I was commenting on wishing I could turn it into a candle. Would love to have that burning in the kitchen all night. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...