Hye Thyme Cafe: Amaretto Marshmallows

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Amaretto Marshmallows




Having just gotten a new KitchenAid stand mixer, I decided that the first thing I made with it should be something appropriate for the type of lift/volume you can achieve with the mixer that you can't get with a hand mixer or food processor.  For me, that meant either a meringue or marshmallows.  Marshmallows won the coin toss!

I've made plain marshmallows before, toasted coconut marshmallows, and pomegranate marshmallows, so I wanted to do something different and took a peek around to see what that might be.  I decided to go with Amaretto and have to confess that my first attempt was a fail!  I replaced all of the water in the recipe with Amaretto and ended up with a tiny batch of something more akin to taffy - I'm thinking about cutting that up into small pieces and dipping it in chocolate to see if it will produce something like a Charleston Chew that I can throw in the freezer for when I'm in the mood for a sweet treat.

INGREDIENTS :
2 envelopes plain gelatin
1/4 c water
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c corn syrup
1/4 c Amaretto DiSaronno
1/4 c water
cooking spray
powdered sugar


  • Sprinkle the gelatin into the bowl of your stand mixer and cover with 1/4 c water, allowing the water to bloom the gelatin while you move to the next step
  • In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, Amaretto and additional 1/4 c water
  • Over med to med-high heat, using a candy thermometer, bring the sugar mixture up to a boil, making sure it reaches 240°; remove from heat
  • Use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl of your stand mixer to break up the gelatin and make sure it doesn't stay stuck at the bottom
  • Slowly pour the sugar mixture over the gelatin
  • With the whip attachment in place, run the mixer on slow for about a minute to get it started without splashing
  • Increase the speed to high and let the mixer run for about 15" until fluffy and thickened
  • Spray 8x8" pan with cooking spray and dust with powdered sugar
  • Pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan, using rubber spatula (sprayed with cooking spray helps) to scrape the bowl and smooth the top
  • Dust with additional powered sugar, cover with parchment or waxed paper, and let set several hours to overnight
  • Use a spreader or butter knife to loosen the marshmallow from the pan and invert onto your work surface
  • Cut into squares - I used a knife this time but usually do it with a non-stick pizza wheel
  • Dip the freshly cut edges in additional powdered sugar to prevent sticking

If you are concerned that you ended up with too much powdered sugar on your marshmallows, no problem!  Toss them into a plastic bag and go all Shake 'n Bake on em.  That way, the excess sugar will fall to the bottom of the bag. 

I just enjoyed two in my coffee and can't wait to try them in cocoa.  










2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know people could make marshmallows, let alone Amaretto marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're actually very easy if you have a stand mixer, and you have control over the flavor, etc. It's fun to play around with flavors, so now that I have a mixer again, I see many more mallows in my future! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...