Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: When I was a Little Kid, I Thought ...

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, November 8, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: When I was a Little Kid, I Thought ...

Source: http://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/Santa%20Hunter_108128#

This week's Finish the Sentence Friday Prompt is "When I was a little kid, I thought ..."

The first thing that came to mind for me was that I thought I saw Santa and his reindeer in the sky.  Mind you, I was at an age where I no longer believed in Santa, so I was even more shocked, yet still completely sure of what I saw.  To make it stranger, we were leaving an AmVets Christmas party, and "Santa" was in attendance, so had I believed in Santa at the time, I would have thought he was still inside.  My sister pretty much laughed at me and said I had seen the light on a radio tower and thought it was Rudolph's nose, but it wasn't just his nose I saw!  I still swear that I saw four or five of the reindeer and could clearly see their legs moving, almost like they were pumping the air to fly - like kicking your legs under water.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

My sister also thinks I'm crazy for the time our across-the-street neighbors were out of town and left me in charge of their fish.  I came running home one night totally freaked out at having just seen a UFO. Sadly, I've seen so many UFO images over the years, I can't exactly remember it now, but suffice to say, I was laughed at again.  I felt much better the next day when a friend of hers from a few towns over called and told her he had seen a UFO the night before!!  Aha, vindication!!! Nope, she just thought we were both nuts.  Again, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it ... I have seen both Santa's sleigh and a UFO!

I also thought my parents were super glamorous back then.  Every once in a blue moon, they'd get all decked out for a night on the town, Dad in a suit and Mom in a gown with all the bling to go with it.  It was magical to me thinking of them attending a Cinderalla-style ball or something.  I really feel we miss out on that nowadays; everything is just so casual. I'm all for that in most instances, but it would be nice if people at least still dressed for things like the theatre/opera/symphony.  We all need an excuse to play dress-up now and again.

The other thing I thought when I was a kid was that our house was haunted, but we had lived there for about seven years before it started. Weird things would happen like the water turning on, or the toaster oven. You could find ways to explain that away, but one day I saw a hibiscus tree in the family room flailing as though someone had just run into it. That completely freaked me out, and when I told my Mom, she told me I was being ridiculous and that one of the flours must have just fallen off, making that branch sping up.  I checked ... there was no flower on the floor!  

The biggest evidence of a ghostly roommate was the day I was upstairs in the living room and heard the pinball machine playing downstairs.  My Mom and I were the only ones home at the time, so I was shocked to hear it since she wasn't exactly the "playful" type, let alone for pinball.  I thought it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and hustled downstairs to challenge her to a game, but she was nowhere to be found?!?  The machine was on, so I turned it off and started looking around for her.  I finally tracked her down upstairs in her dressing room and told her I had just missed her downstairs and would have challenged her to a game. She, of course, looked at me like I was nuts and said she wasn't playing pinball and hadn't been downstairs.  The really freaky thing is that even with the machine being on, there is no way for it to make sounds unless someone is actually playing it!!

While living in that neighborhood, there was always tongue-in-cheek talk of it having been built atop an Indian burial ground because of the unusual tragedies that seemed to take place there.  Years later, I heard that one of the neighbors actually did some research and found out that was true, so maybe it was the ghost of Chief Wompatuck wanting to spark up a game.

Not ours, but same kind we had.


Speaking of Indians, that's another thing I thought when I was a kid ... Our neighborhood was a big circle (well, more like an oblong), and at one end on our side of the circle, there was a big empty lot.  At some point, I had a dream that Indians had set up camp in that lot and that they had come to my house, killed my family, and taken me to live as one of them.  I don't recall how long it went on, but night after night, I would stand watch at my window, scared to death and waiting for them to come.  I was barely tall enough to reach the window, so I was probably six or seven.  That must have come from watching a western or some episode of F-Troop or something lol.  Ironically, years later, there would come a time when random people would stop and ask me if I was Indian.  I was never sure if they meant Native American or someone from India, but that always brought me back to that nightmare.

So, what random things did you think when you were a kid???



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:






30 comments:

  1. Chris, I love all the things you thought when you were a kid and must say I also had my own vivid imagination and could swear at times that there was some sort of ghostly action in our home when I was a kid. After we moved from that house, I was told that the owner before my parents actually died in my old bedroom. So, maybe I, too wasn't so off about this either! Thanks as always for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, that would freak me out to know that someone had died in my bedroom! :(

      Delete
  2. What a vivid imagination! And fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW DARE YOU?!?! I did NOT imagine any of those things, they were all real ... except for the Indians of course, since that came from a dream. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, spooky! And magical, all at the same time! I absolutely love reading these childhood reflections- I wish I could climb back into my old brain sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather crawl back into my younger body than my younger brain LOL.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh... I totally thought I saw Santa (also at an age where I no longer believed) and several UFOs, too! And that pinball story is crazy! I have definitely had times when it seemed like someone other-worldly was hanging around. I don't doubt that was the Chief himself, having some fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was from the area, but a couple of miles down the road. Chief Wompatuck that is ... not Santa. ;)

      Delete
  5. I liked reading these trips down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, please don't EVER let me read anything about ghosts! I have always been SO SCARED of ghosts and I had to stop reading after your hydrangea incident (I saw the whole burial explanation, though). So, I am going to pretend that I did not read ANY of your ghost stories and just tell you that I always want a Cinderella ball to go to. Why the hell can't we do that any more? Not that my parents ever did it, but I would LOVE to get fancy for a ball. Proms and weddings should NOT be the end of the elegant life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny ... I'd take a ghost over an alien any day! ;)

      Delete
  7. I just remember when I was little, I would tell one of my good friends all about how I heard santa's sleigh & saw rudolph & she dismissed it saying it was my parents making the sleigh bell sounds & rudolph was just a light on a building. Needless to say I was pretty mad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, what a fascinating post - your childhood sounds like it was infinitely more interesting than mine! I would have been totally freaked out growing up in a haunted house - some really full-on things happened at your place! I agree that it's a shame people don't get dressed up these days to go dancing or to parties. Well, we get 'dressed up' I suppose, but not in that beautiful, Cinderella-type way you described. Maybe we should have a revolution and bring all those beautiful dresses back into fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun! You shouldn't have to be a runway model or live in Beverly Hills or on the French Riviera to get dressed up on occasion!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Wow! That could explain all those "misfit toys." Good thinking!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a childhood full of exciting (if sometimes alarming) unexplainable events and mysteries. You would've been a great member of the Scooby Gang :D

    I don't like the nightmare though. That's creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a LOT of nightmares as a kid because I would sneak up late at night and watch old horror movies - yup, I was an insomniac even back then, but that one really creeped me out. I guess that's pretty evident by my keeping watch at night lol.

      Delete
  11. HAHA! You know, I'm still partially convinced there are ghosts. I swear that we had a rattling in our house when I was a kid and that doors would open and close on their own. Not as creepy as the pinball machine but still! Way creepy! And yikes! The burial ground images bring me to Poltergeist!
    Awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwwww! Luckily for me, we never got around to digging the pool or had a mud slide!! ;)

      Delete
  12. Chris - Have you ever believed that you might have a special talent? No, I'm not joking (for a change). I've experienced some things in my life and wrote about them once. Things that others didn't believe or see, but I did. You just might have an ability you're not quite aware of. I'd check it out if I were you. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually try to be open to things like that, and I'm certainly not afraid of it, but I've never been able to intentionally encounter anything. Would love to be involved in something like one of those paranormal TV shows - not that it would have to be a TV show, just something I'm interested in/curious about.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and it would be REALLY COOL to work for Santa! ;)

      Delete
  13. LOL! I had to stop reading the FTSF posts last night, even the responses to mine. I didn't know we were all going to "go there". I'm so much better in broad daylight. ;-) Anyway going back up to the top, I at least had the dress up of the Marine Corp balls. True - everyone should have a play dress up occasion in their life. Love it that you thought your parents were super glamourous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember one time when they came home and she made the mistake of kicking off her heels in the kitchen. They were super fancy and caught the attention of the dog, who managed to eat one of them before she got up in the morning. I thought she was going to kill him lol.

      Delete
  14. OK, I wish I had your memory! These are awesome, and haunted house! I would've slept with the lights on!
    I totally agree about the glamorous parents. I remember my mom's perfume when they would get all dressed up, and we'd be waiting for a sitter. Those were the days my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I have a lot of memories from the first house I lived in, and we were only there until I was four. In my earliest memory, I'm actually in my baby carriage. I remember two of my babysitters fighting over who was going to take me outside for a walk, and me thinking I didn't care who, I just wanted to go out!! LOL

      Delete
  15. I think my comment disappeared! Oy. Shortened version, totally agree about the glamorous parents! I remember my mom's "dress" perfume. We would be waiting for a sitter and it would waft into the room... we really do miss those things these days don't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I just wan't around the computer to publish it. Definitely with you on the perfume. With Mom, it was Worth by Je Reviens. I love that stuff, but it definitely has to be the perfume version. I hate when you smell a fragrance that you love, but then you try it and don't like it on yourself. :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...