Hye Thyme Cafe: Finish the Sentence Friday: "Right now, I'm thankful for ..." OR "When I think of the word Pilgrim, I think..."

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, November 22, 2013

Finish the Sentence Friday: "Right now, I'm thankful for ..." OR "When I think of the word Pilgrim, I think..."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plymouth_Rock,_Plymouth,_MA,_jjron_03.05.2012.jpg


This week's #FTSF prompt is an either/or, but since I'm being brief for a change [imagine that], I figured I'd respond to both.

"Right now, I'm thankful for ..." my job.  It's definitely not where I saw myself this far post-Hurricane Katrina, but in looking at how many people around me are struggling or out of work altogether, I definitely consider myself lucky.  I can't do whatever I want whenever I want anymore, and I'm not worrying about keeping up with the Jones-es when it comes to the latest toys and gadgets, but I've got a roof over my head, a car on the road, and food on the table, so I'm doing just fine.

"When I think of the word Pilgrim, I think ..." of how thoroughly disappointed I was as a kid to go on a school field trip to see the Plymouth Rock, only to realize how small it is!  I should have been tipped off by the fact that it has "rock" right in the name, but I always imagined it as a huge boulder.  The problem is that I was imagining them actually stepping off the Mayflower onto Plymouth Rock, rather than accounting for the fact that you can't pull a ship right up to shore and would have to have made your way in via a smaller vessel.  This incident paled in comparison to my junior high school trip to the Smithsonian in DC, where I saw the Hope Diamond and realized it was not the ginormous stone of my imagination, but rather something  along the lines of a walnut, at 45.5 carats.  Knowing it was the biggest and most famous diamond in the world at the time, a walnut just didn't seem all that impressive somehow.

Due to Thanksgiving, there will be no #FTSF next week, but the following week's prompt is:  "One of my favorite childhood memories is..."  

In the meantime, wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving - hopefully together.


*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Feel free to share in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter using hashtag #FTSF, or if you're a blogger, link up with one of the host blogs:







19 comments:

  1. I am so with you Chris on being thankful for having a job right now, roof over my head and food on the table, too. In this day and age, this is definitely a huge positive and something to totally be thankful for. And I never actually saw Plymouth Rock in person, so you are totally one up on me for this for sure. Thanks as always for linking up and Happy Thanksgiving, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as you can see, you didn't miss much. ;)

      Delete
  2. Great minds think alike! HAHA I love that we both said how disappointing Plymouth Rock is. Because it IS! I mean, why is it even famous? What a weird concept. I'm thankful for my job, too. I make a lot less than I used to but I'm okay with that. I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be if I could just decide what to make! This year, my sister is doing dinner and I'm doing dessert - keep changing my mind about what I want to make lol.

      Delete
  3. You and Kristi and Plymouth Rock! I agree that it looks disappointing. I always imagined it was a boulder, too, but I guess I thought it had crashed into the sea by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Speaking of boats and rocks and crashing into the sea ... reminds me of a friend's Dad telling me to take their sailboat straight in to shore, which I did and crashed on some unmarked rocks! Hey, I just did what I was told! We lost one kid overboard, but the boat was OK. ;)

      Delete
  4. I've never seen it, but you're the second to point out that tiny rock! I learned something new twice today!! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Not you won't be disappointed when you see it ... or the Hope Diamond.

      Delete
    2. Oops, make that NOW you won't ...

      Delete
  5. For some reason I had a postcard of the Hope Diamond as a kid, and it looked huge. Then I saw it in person, and like you I was disappointed. This was what all the fuss was about? I'm glad you and Kristi saved me from the same disappointment at Plymouth Rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the Plymouth Rock isn't cursed like the Hope Diamond ... at least I don't think it is. ;)

      Delete
  6. I really and truly believed Plymouth Rock to be an American wonder. I pictured the pilgrims walking on a wooden plank from the ships onto the huge boulder of a rock and then onto land. So amazed to learn from both you and Kristi that it is smaller than the rocks I see in my neighbourhood. I never would have believed it was smaller than a volkswagen beetle. Wow. Mind you some people say our Rocky Mountains up here in Canada are smaller than they imagined, so there you go. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I had imagined it! A dramatic walking down a gangway onto this huge boulder, stepping foot into the "new world," not jumping out of a dingy onto a little rock lol.

      Delete
  7. It's funny that you and Kristi both mentioned the disappointing size of Plymouth Rock- ha! And thanks for the reminder to be grateful for a good job- I sometimes forget! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's still only part-time, but I'm definitely thankful for it!

      Delete
  8. Ha! I just read Kristi's post a few minutes ago and I love that the two of you both slammed the Plymouth Rock! I have never seen it, but I now know that if we ever want to do something educational, we'll opt for the Smithsonian over the Plymouth Rock;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your perspective on being grateful for what you have in your first paragraph. That was a timely reminder to me too to put things into perspective and count my blessings! I only learnt about the Plymouth Rock as an adult, but I imagined it being bigger too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I lost a lot of stuff in Hurricane Katrina, and it took a long time after that to find a job at all, because the bottom fell out of the economy. It still hasn't gone full time like it was supposed to, but it's a good job, and I"m thankful to have it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...