Hye Thyme Cafe: Sprinkles! Recipes and Ideas for Rainbowlicious Desserts - by Jackie Alpers

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, October 7, 2013

Sprinkles! Recipes and Ideas for Rainbowlicious Desserts - by Jackie Alpers



Who wouldn't want to accept an offer to review a cookbook with a title like Sprinkles!??  It practically screams FUN right in the name!  Even for me, who admittedly would rather decorate with them for others and just look at them myself.  Shocking, I know.  What can I say?  I find most sweets to be sweet enough without the added sugar.  The one time of year I do go wild with sprinkles is at Christmas, when baking sugar cookies.  Then I'm like a crazy person, using all sorts of random tools to lay out the designs I want - from templates cut from container tops to toothpicks, tweezers, lobster picks, paintbrushes, whatever gets the job done! Everyone razzes me for the time I spend on them, since they can whip up a whole tray in the time it takes me to be satisfied with one or two cookies, but it's fun dang it!

In this bright and colorful cookbook, Tucson-based, award-winning photographer Jackie Alpers, of Jackie's Happy Plate, goes hog wild with pretty much every kind of sprinkle you can imagine, in/on just about anything that crosses her path.  [OK, had to laugh here.  I was going to comment that I was half surprised her hubby or cats didn't show up somewhere in the book covered in sprinkles, then I went to her website.  There she was taking photos with a sprinkles-covered camera... wandered around a bit and I'll be darned, there was a kitty looking to indulge in a Sprinkles! Martini.]

Jackie starts off by outlining The World of Sprinkles, explaining the different types of Sprinkles, Jimmies [Having been born and raised around Boston myself, she gets bonus points for referencing Jimmies - all you Bostonians know you were thinking about that as soon as you saw the title!], Nanpareils, Dragées, Pearls, Glitters, Confetti, Sugars, Chocolates, Salts, etc., that you could possibly want to play with for decorating purposes.

She then moves on to describing the different methods used for decorating, explaining which work best on which types of goodies in order to maintain your add-ins' colors and shapes ... or not, depending on your intended effect!  

The book is then laid out in three sections: Breakfast Sweets; Cookies, Cakes, and Pies; Snacks and Party Fare.  Although I do have to take issue with the notion of Sangria and Rock Candy Garnishes for breakfast, Jackie offers up an array of colorful, fun, and interesting recipes, all of which are followed up with recipes for homemade sprinkles, and a great variety of sprinkles sources for your every baking need.

Here's a sampling of what you'll find "sprinkled" between the covers of this 144 page cookbook:
  • Sprinkles Butter (kids would go crazy seeing this on their pancakes, etc.)
  • Fairy Bread Sandwiches
  • Hot Chocolate Stir Sticks 
  • Strawberry Teacup Cakes 
  • Confetti Layer Cake (not to be confused w/the Rainbow cake on the cover)
  • Key Lime Pie (with a sprinkles crust - love it)
  • Birthday Cake Martini  (rimmed and garnished with sprinkles)
  • Starry Night Fruit Leather (beautiful with tiny edible gold stars)

If I get a chance this week, I might just have to try Jackie's Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti ... or maybe her Fleur de Sel Caramels!  Hmmm, but what if I find those tiny gold glitter stars?  Then it's the fruit leather for sure.  That was such a wonderful idea!

Sprinkles! hits the shelves on 10/15, so make a note!  You'll want to pick up a copy to get all of your creative sprinkling juices flowing as the holidays approach.  What fun new decorating ideas will you come up with???



As always, a big thanks to the folks at Quirk Books for providing me with a review copy.  




2 comments:

  1. Key Lime with sprinkles crust?! Now that is interesting. That cover and cake are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a cute idea - the graham cracker crust has sprinkles mixed in. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...