Hye Thyme Cafe: Pork Tostadas

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pork Tostadas

Hye Thyme Cafe: Pork Tostadas


A Tostada is like a mini pizza on a crunchy corn tortilla, or like a reallllly big tortilla chip.  They are typically fried, but since I already fried this week when making Nutella-Filled Pizza Fritte, I decided to give the kitchen (and my arteries) a break and bake the tortillas.

If you're using leftover pulled pork for this, you're a step ahead, but if you're using up a roast or some chops, you'll first want to let the pork sit out for a while so it's not so cold, then toss it in the food processor with the plastic dough blade in place and pulse to shred.

I'm not listing amounts for this since you can really add whatever you like, and it will all depend on what you have left over to start from.  I had roasted a bunch of red bell peppers a while back for Roasted Red Pepper Pesto, so I had the extras in the freezer, along with some diced red onion.  I was also using frozen corn, so since those three items were in the freezer and gave off liquid as they heated up, I didn't need to add any liquid.  If you're using all fresh ingredients, you might want to add a splash of water or broth to the pan so your pork doesn't dry out as it re-heats.

INGREDIENTS :
Shredded cooked pork
Small Corn Tortillas
Minced Garlic
Diced Red Onion (reserve a bit for garnish)
Diced Roasted Red Pepper
Corn
Salt and Pepper
Frank's Red Hot Chile 'n Lime Hot Sauce
Fresh Lime Juice
Shredded Cheese
Diced Tomatoes
Sour Cream
Fresh Chopped Cilantro
Olive Oil and/or Cooking Spray

  • Brush both sides of the tortillas with oil, or give them a quick shot of cooking spray and bake at 375 until they just start to crisp and turn golden
  • While the tortillas are baking, saute the garlic and onion in a bit of olive oil until fragrant, then add in the roasted red peppers, corn, and pork, and season with salt and pepper
  • If dry, add a splash of water or broth to the pan so the pork doesn't dry out
  • When the corn is cooked and the pork heated through, stir in a few shakes of the Chile 'n Lime sauce - in addition to flavor, the slightly sticky texture will help hold your fixn's on the tortilla
  • Flip the tortillas, top with shredded cheese and pop back in the oven until the cheese is bubbly
  • Just before removing the pan from the stove, give it a good squeeze of lime juice for brightness
  • Pile the pork mixture on top of your tortillas and top with more shredded cheese
  • Garnish with diced tomato, sour cream, cilantro, etc.


I thought these were going to be a lot messier to eat than they turn out to be - I'm one of those people who cuts a cupcake into quarters before attempting to eat it so I don't get a face full of frosting, and I sometimes cut the meat off of ribs rather than going Medieval on them.  The cheese and chile sauce did a good job of holding things together.  I've eaten much messier tacos over the years.

Saute onion, garlic, roasted red pepper and corn
Add pork and chile 'n lime sauce

Lightly toast tortillas, then top with cheese and heat until melted

Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, diced tomato, etc.

Hye Thyme Cafe: Pork Tostadas

Hye Thyme Cafe: Pork Tostadas




2 comments:

  1. I have a pork roast in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner. This looks delicious, and there is a chance my kids will eat it!
    As a side note, I'm not on Pinterest. Instead, when I find a recipe I want to try, I copy the post URL and paste it to a "post-it" on my computer. Many of your recipes are posted there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before Pinterest, I used to do the same thing - save URLs, but I wouldn't do it on my hard drive, I'd e-mail them to myself since I use GMail. That way, if I wasn't home and would be cooking where I was, I could still access them.

      I'd love to hear what the kids think of them and what combination of goodies you come up with for yours. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...