Hye Thyme Cafe: Parmesan-Onion Party Puffs

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, October 14, 2013

Parmesan-Onion Party Puffs

Parmesan-Onion Party Puffs : Hye Thyme Cafe


It was my sister who got me hooked on these. I think it was the year I flew in from New Orleans to surprise them for Christmas. I was helping her in the kitchen to prepare for a lot of company on Christmas Eve, and one of the tasks I was assigned was preparing these. I'm sure I looked at her like she was crazy - why on Earth was she making an appetizer out of plain white bread and mayonnaise when she had all sorts of other fabulous dishes going on?

Well, when these came out of the oven, I couldn't keep my paws off of them! Forget all the beautiful baked stuffed mushrooms, the delicious shrimp, spinach pie, and all the other goodies. These things are like crack! What's even funnier about it is that her original version was pretty plain - just the mayo, Parmesan, and onion. I later decided to play around with different herbs. I think the dill is my favorite.

INGREDIENTS :
1 loaf white sandwich bread
1 c Hellmann's Mayonnaise
5 T grated Parmesan
1 small onion, minced
Optional: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, dried dill, etc.

  1. Use small cookie cutters to cut shapes out of the bread and place on baking sheets (reserve the scraps to grind and keep in the freezer for future croquettes, meatballs, etc.)
  2. Pop under the broiler to lightly toast on one side
  3. Stir together the mayo, Parmesan, onion, and about 1 1/2 T of your seasoning of choice (if including garlic powder, only use about 1/4 t)
  4. Flip the bread and spread a small amount of the mayo mixture onto the un-toasted side
  5. Pop back under the broiler until bubbly and golden
  6. If you want to be fancy about it, arrange on the platter and sprinkle with fresh herbs, or top with thin slices of grape tomatoes, roasted red pepper, sliced olives, etc.

Use small cookie cutters to cut shapes out of sandwich bread
Place bread cut-outs on baking sheet


Broil to lightly toast cut-outs on one side
Flip toasts and spread with a bit of the mayo mixture








Pop back under the broiler until bubbly and golden
Pop back under the broiler until bubbly and golden

Serve immediately

Top with additional fresh herbs if desired

Be sure to save bread scraps to grind and use in croquettes, etc.


If you know ahead of time that you'll be making these and have a lot of other stuff going on, you can make the mayo mixture a day or two ahead, and store it in the fridge. As for the cut-outs, you can prepare those ahead as well, just pop them in a zip-top bag or other sealed container and freeze them until an hour or so before you need them.

Hmmm, maybe a little chili powder or smoked paprika next time ... 



3 comments:

  1. These look delicious. YUM. I love simple, cheesy, pretty appetizers for parties. They're always a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems weird when you think about it pretty much being a loaf of bread and some mayo, but they really are good! They certainly couldn't get any easier. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...