Hye Thyme Cafe: Overnight Tropical French Toast Casserole

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, October 24, 2013

Overnight Tropical French Toast Casserole

Overnight Tropical French Toast Casserole : Hye Thyme Cafe


I had picked up a baguette at the grocery store the other day but didn't end up using it that night. I wasn't home the next day, and the day after that, it was pretty well dried out. Since I already have a substantial stockpile of breadcrumbs in the freezer and I didn't want it to go to waste, I decided to make an Overnight Banana French Toast. Then I remembered that I had just been to the Amish store and picked up a bag of tropical dried fruit, so I switched gears to come up with this tropical version.

I had never used coconut milk in something like this before, but since I had a can, I figured why not? Just make sure to shake the can well before you open it, to loosen things up. It didn't provide quite enough liquid, so I added milk as well. Play around to see what you like. A little cream cheese if you have it adds a richness to the mix, and the dried fruit turned out perfectly - between soaking overnight in the custard mixture and then being heated, it plumped up nicely and added great flavor and texture.


INGREDIENTS :
1 baguette
2 T cream cheese
1/2 c chopped tropical dried fruit
1/2 c sweetened flaked coconut
2 bananas
4 eggs
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 t almond extract
13.5 oz can coconut milk
1 c milk
cooking spray
  1. Lightly spray casserole dish with cooking spray
  2. Slice the bread into approximately 1/2" thick rounds
  3. Spread half the bread rounds into the casserole dish
  4. Dot with cream cheese here and there
  5. Sprinkle dried fruit and coconut over the top
  6. Slice the bananas and layer on top
  7. Cover with remaining bread rounds
  8. Whisk together the eggs, salt, vanilla, almond extract, coconut milk, and milk
  9. Pour egg mixture over the top, pressing down on the bread to make sure everything is well soaked
  10. Cover and refrigerate overnight
  11. Remove from oven 10-20" before ready to bake so you're casserole dish is not going directly from the fridge to a hot oven
  12. Bake at 375 for about an hour until puffed and nicely browned
  13. Top with a complementary syrup (such as almond), or sprinkle with powdered sugar

Overnight Tropical French Toast Casserole : Hye Thyme Cafe
Line pan with bread and dot with cream cheese.

Sprinkle dried tropical fruit
Sprinkle coconut

Layer in bananas
Top with remaining bread

Pour egg mixture over the top
Bake at 375 until puffed and golden, about an hour.


Serve topped with a complementary syrup or powdered sugar.


Serve topped with a complementary syrup or powdered sugar.


2 comments:

  1. This really peaked my curiousity it sure sounds and look amazing! nice one !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just happened to have an interesting mix of stuff to play with. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...